Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #1

For Those Of You With Backup Camera Systems

For those of you with backup camera systems, where do you have the actual monitor to view the image?

I'm guessing many of you have it integrated into an in dash receiver that has an "extendable" dvd monitor. Unfortunately, we already have a head unit and I do not want to replace it if I can avoid it.

Does anyone have another solution for the monitor? I do not want something permanently mounted on the dash as it is an eye sore, restricts vision, and also screams "break into the van please and steal me".

I've considered two other options. One is a snap on rear view mirror (Ebay Listing). The other option is a LCD monitor that would be installed into the driver side sun visor. I think the sun visor would be the cleanest look. Visor View offers an integrated solution although I could probably buy the camera, cabling and lcd monitor individually. I'm just wondering if the "stock" visor supplied by SMB would be adequate.

I am planning on placing the camera on the penthouse top, right below the brake light.

Has anyone this install themselves? If yes, any advice? I definitely need to deal with this sooner than later, especially since I use the van as an everyday driver. It is so tough to judge the rear of the van when reversing into parking spots, parallel parking, etc. Much worse than my old Chevy Avalanche.[/url]

Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Had the camera installed by Rob Radonovich after purchasing the van, and had it set up to display on the in-dash receiver screen.

Both of the display options you mention are promising.

As for the camera location, here's where mine is located. It's on the interior of the passenger side rear door frame, and provides a good view. My rear bumper box does not get in the way of the picture. Being on the inside, it's protected from weather, and most thieves/vandals.

Herb
Old 03-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
I picked up my monitor from Ebay. It's a combo rearview mirror and monitor unit (The camera unit is the newer Boyo VTL200 License plate camera; it had the lowest Lux and widest view):

Here is another shot of it:

Here is the camera unit I got:

I'm planning to move the scan gauge with that adaptor for the scangauge right underneath the monitor...

I'm used to the monitor/camera setup now and can't imagine not having it..blind!
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I have a "wireless" unit I picked up for $80 at Costco last winter. I mounted the camera on the license plate frame, top of the plate, and I mounted the monitor just above and to the right of the rear view mirror, on the leather shelf-thing (don't know what to call it) that runs along the front top of the windshield and behind the rearview mirror. You know, the place where you can stash your garage opener, sunglasses, and anything else you don't want your kid to get into.

I tried the Boyo system but could not get it to work. Boyo customer service couldn't get it to work either so back it went.

I t's great to be able to do precision parallel parking in such a huge van. I calibrated the view of the camera with a metal yardstick set on the ground. Any object that just appears on the bottom of the monitor screen I know to be exactly 2 feet away from the bumper.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

NRL - is your's the wired or wireless version?
Lowracer - have you had any troubles with the wireless version?

For both of you, did you do the install yourself? If yes, how easy/difficult was it?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it.

NRL - is your's the wired or wireless version?
Lowracer - have you had any troubles with the wireless version?

For both of you, did you do the install yourself? If yes, how easy/difficult was it?
For me it was wired.. I've got to many 2.4Ghz signals flying around in my Sporto.. Got the 802.11 WiFi AP, the EVDO, the bluetooth, the wireless mouse, the wireless keyboard.. I could never get a good clean non-interfering picture with the wireless..

The wiring was by no means easy but it had to be done.
For the rear, I took apart the back door panel and routed the wiring with the rest of the wiring and snaked it underneath all the cabinets, to the Video Spliter (4 views, Front,back, left and right views), then to DVR , under the floor, behind the drivers seat, up the side near the door, over to the overhead, to a switch then to the monitor. The DVR is IP enabled so I can see what the van sees remotely or play it back also.

I'm probably Lit up like a Xmas tree if an F-18 or Apache AH64 Scans the horizon..
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

I checked out the various options today. I've basically narrowed it down to a LCD screen mounted into the existing visor or a flip down screen that would be mounted in the center directly in front of the little "cubbie" holes in the headliner. I'm thinking the flip down monitor would be better in that it could be used for other things in the future if we ever felt inclined where the visor mount would only be useful for the backup camera and nothing else. Both solutions are unobtrusive which I liked.

The price for parts + installation for the visor LCD is $350.
The price for parts + installation for the flip down LCD is $400.

I'm not that keen on the clip on mirror/LCD, at least in theory because you can tell it is there and seems like it could be an obvious target to thieves (it would also be $350 installed). Maybe I'm just overthinking things too much which is not unusual for me .

Obviously this isn't the greatest or highest quality gear. However, it will be more than adequate for what we need it for. I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting a Kenwood receiver with integrated video, but that is an expensive upgrade at this point compared to my other options.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
I installed my costco special myself, it wasn't hard. But wireless is kind of a misnomer. The camera has to be wired up to the brake light and ground, and the LCD has to be wired up to power. By the time you do all that, what's one more wire? Anyway I had to run the antenna wire from the camera into the back door of the SMB in order to get the 2.4GHz signal inside the van. If I left it outside, no picture. Since I had to run it inside anyway, would not have been too much trouble to just run a line all the way up to the front. The hardest part was wiring the camera to the brake light power. But once hooked up you will love it. Just calibrate it so you know what you're looking at and how far things are away.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

You may also want to consider a front camera, especially if you have a large bumper like the aluminess. I have a front and rear and have parked in some pretty tight spaces. I have a switch on the dash to switch between the cameras.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRL
"...I'm planning to move the scan gauge with that adaptor for the scangauge right underneath the monitor...
FWIW, I have a really nice ScanGuage mount that attaches to the rearview mirror post. Great quality and easy install. Problem is, I find the ScanGuage display brightness completely inadequate for such a well lit, backlit area. In this location, the display is virtually unreadable in daylight.

Herb