Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnever View Post
Thanks! That's great to know. I did have a mind to just totally leave it be - but wouldn't keeping a battery in there that isn't holding a charge put additional load on the alternator? I'm pretty thick when it comes to electrical so that might be a terribly dumb question.
I'm not sure if it adds strain on the alternator, but if there isn't a load on that battery, then it shouldn't be a big deal...??

Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 PM   #92

If you pull the aux battery, you're supposed to install a jumper into the aux battery harness next to the windshield fluid reservoir. This will keep the trailer tow circuit working after the aux battery is disconnected.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #93

Buy a battery and keep it. Better to have and not need.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #94

I'm now starting to wonder if replacing my AUX battery would be a good way to gauge my power needs for the "permanent" house battery setup I'll eventually have. Anyone have any experience tapping into the 40A AUX battery circuit that's supposed to be in the driver B-pillar? My b-pillar is easily accessible but I don't know what I'm looking at. I'd love to see some examples if anyone is using their factory aux battery as a house battery.

5.4L V8 -- 3.73 gears -- RSC
kingnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:48 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Hi FF, Not sure how this will help but here goes:

I have a 2003 V10, it did NOT come with the aux battery on the frame. I did want a set of house batteries and spent a great deal of time figuring out how to get the most amp hours in the space along the passenger frame rail under the side doors.

What we ended up with was two AGM Group 31's at 105 aH each mounted on the frame rail laying on their side.

I was able to use a factory harness from a 2007+ diesel van that had both batteries mounted on the frame. This harness allowed me to tap into the battery cable terminal on the starter. I ran the cable back from this terminal back to a Blue Sea manual selector switch ( I do not like isolators/separators but one could be inserted if so desired) This switch resulted in one terminal connected to the engine bay battery via the cable from the starter, a second terminal connected to the two AGM's, and the third connected to the inverter. This way, by positioning of the switch, I can run the inverter from engine, house, both, or none. I can also, tie the system together for starting/charging, if needed, or I can tie the inverter to only the engine battery to allow the planned solar to charge the house batteries while they had no draw on them. Remember, this harness was the starting battery harness for a diesel engine, so handling a V10 should be no problem.

The whole set up turned out pretty slick and the battery tray made up of two factory battery boxes, cut and welded together sits up under the side body very nice and compactly. Plus I have a jumper post just aft of the battery box to allow charging of the house bank independently of the engine if desired, of would also have allowed quick connection of a portable solar charging system.

For your system, I would find a way to disconnect the frame battery from the engine and then replicate the system I set up. This provides for a 210aH house system using a couple of group 31 AGM's.
Wow Ray -- this is slick! So cool you were able to re-purpose the 6.0 van harness too! I haven't seen a diesel in the PickNPull for a long time!

I'm thinking of building a frame for two group 31s from angle iron and suspending it from the interior.

You put yours on the passenger side frame rail? Underneath the rear doors?

Really cool job -- I'd probably use the ford battery boxes if I had them -- but I don't and it'll probably be cheaper just to build something out of stuff from the hardware store!
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #96

Yes, passenger side frame rail under the side cargo doors. There are plenty of pre drilled holes in the frame. Just find four of the larger ones and plan accordingly.

-Consider using POR-15 to paint the battery tray before mounting.
-Thin piece of rubber between battery case and tray.
-Pre wire everything on the battery pack and carefully insulate the positive battery terminals/connections. Then make your connections to the van/house electrical circuits via fuse/terminal blocks. Use proper connection convention for running batteries in parallel: negative connection to van from one battery / positive connection to the van from the other battery.

A piece of 3/4” ply securely strapped with screws to a floor jacket becomes a nice lifting device for the battery pack.

It is a nice setup!
Old 05-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
Funny you should post about this... I recently installed a cig lighter port in the rear of my van running off the factory aux battery. I had checked the voltage while running this morning to see what it was at, and it was at 12.5v with the van running and 12.5 with the van off. I'm wondering if the factory isolator gave out at some point and its just holding the residual charge.

If the factory isolator is bad, can anyone recommend an isolator to install in place of the factory one? I imagine the factory one is probably expensive.
What wire did you connect to for the cig lighter port? I am trying to figure out a way to connect to the Ford wiring rather than connecting directly off the battery.
coolfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet View Post
What wire did you connect to for the cig lighter port? I am trying to figure out a way to connect to the Ford wiring rather than connecting directly off the battery.
There's a upfitter connection point in the B-pillar. 6-pin rectangle connector. Contains always hot and aux-switched hot. Ford sells pigtail if you won't want to splice.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfeet View Post
I ran an 8ga wire off the battery to a new fuse block. I did not run factory wiring since I was planning to run additional lights, etc. back there.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #100

My 2001 E150 has one house battery and would like to add a 2nd

Anyone have wiring schematic on this?

For little on these house batteries online (YouTube) to show anything

Like to see how to lower it also

Any help would be great
NorCalVanDwlr is offline   Reply With Quote