Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #71

The battery for that box is a Group 65, it was came in it from the factory. An AGM type (or at least maintenance free) battery is highly desirable for the frame mount location.

How are you planning to wire this into your rig?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #72

I plan on running a relay from the battery under the frame that exists for the tow package by adding one battery box next to it and one battery above it inside under my bench. Also adding a 1500 inverter, fuse box, 12v and usb outlets, etc.
I am trying to keep the wires as short as possible.

PS are AGM batteries worth the extra $$?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
I plan on running a relay from the battery under the frame that exists for the tow package by adding one battery box next to it and one battery above it inside under my bench. Also adding a 1500 inverter, fuse box, 12v and usb outlets, etc.
I am trying to keep the wires as short as possible.

PS are AGM batteries worth the extra $$?

Thanks
If you have room to put both batteries under the bench, I would go that route. Mounting/unmounting the frame rail battery box is a huge PITA. That box also limits you to the Group 65 battery which doesn't hold much juice (I think usually around 65amp hours).

If you go with interior mounted batteries, go with AGM since they don't off gas and you can mount them any way you want. If you go with a Group 31, you can get about 100amp hours from each battery.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:51 PM   #74

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Agile Off-Road offers a complete dual battery and wiring harness kit utilizing two new Ford Battery Boxes and Factory wiring harness along with two AGM batteries.

It is a no-brainer install. John worked it all out with Deep Cycle Battery in El Cajon.

You can get the details and pricing through John, cause I have no clue! All I know is it is cool.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #75

I did not know you guys made kits, I already bought everything so going to have to pass on this BUT am 100% getting your suspension some time this year, just need to save up some $

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
Agile Off-Road offers a complete dual battery and wiring harness kit utilizing two new Ford Battery Boxes and Factory wiring harness along with two AGM batteries.

It is a no-brainer install. John worked it all out with Deep Cycle Battery in El Cajon.

You can get the details and pricing through John, cause I have no clue! All I know is it is cool.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #76

My father and I got most of the work done yesterday, just need to wire the fuse panel and all the small adapters (12v and usb). I installed one battery under the frame and one in the bench. We are using Interstate AGM 34M batteries which fit in the box perfectly.

Interstate Batteries | Marine Battery | Marine AGM | Watercraft Batteries

Here is a pic of the bed I made inside the van, the battery and fuse panel is under the front of the bench on the right.

Here is the battery in the box before it went up on the Van

The exposed inverter so I can use the plugs for a few small items along with the relay so I can see the light and make sure it is functioning. I added 2 more usb and 2 12v for easy access in the front along with 2 12v in the rear of the bench. Since I have a big fuse box I will prob. add things as I go along.

Here is the wire coming from the electronic tow battery under the frame

the remaining wires going up under the bench using a pre existing hole

that is all for now. I hope to finish up this afternoon.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #77

Need to replace my SMB vehicle batteries. According to my manual I need a group 65 for engine compartment and a group 65DC for the auxillary. Having a hard time finding a DC in that size group. Does it really have to be a DC? Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer View Post
I have an 05 with the factory aux battery and the way I understand it, is it is an isolated battery that does not help with starting the van or powering the 12v outlets at all.

I bought an 8ga amp wiring kit and a 6 fuse block. I ran the wire (fused) from the aux battery to the 6 fuse block in the back of my van (where the jack is). I then installed a 12v aux outlet in the back to be able to run a fridge or charge my phone when camping in the back of my van. I will install a couple more of the 12v outlets and possibly some lights, all of which will run off the aux battery. I can post pictures when I get a chance.

Since your battery is mounted outside, you don't HAVE to get an AGM battery. You could get a wet cell deep cycle battery which is probably less expensive. The only hassle would be that you would have to occasionally add water to it. If you've dropped the battery from the frame rail, you'll understand why this is a hassle.
I have an 03 e350 with aux battery. Did this work out well for you? I was planning on doing the same thing. I just want a little power in the vehicle when I'm parked (engine off) while camping for 1-2 days.
Nolan421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan421 View Post
I have an 03 e350 with aux battery. Did this work out well for you? I was planning on doing the same thing. I just want a little power in the vehicle when I'm parked (engine off) while camping for 1-2 days.

It's worked out great so far. Still only have the 1 plug, but it's been used for the fridge and charging cell phones and it's been handy to have.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #80

Awesome. How long are you able to go without recharging battery? Just running a basic inverter off the 1 plug?

Thank for the info.
Nolan421 is offline   Reply With Quote