Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #11

Re: Ford E250 SMB, Turn signals and hazards are out.

Just ordered the Echlin part from Napa: ECH DL6170 for my 1998 E250. Hopefully this should solve the problem.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0372691954

They also have a cheaper version in the "Mileage Plus Electrical" line, but it only has a 1-year warranty vs. the 3 year for the Echlin. The Echlin is about $15 more ($57 vs. $71), but based on CarringB's suggestion and the additional warranty term I went with the higher-priced one.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #12

I got the Echlin turn signal combo switch this afternoon and installed it a few minutes ago. A very easy install, and solved all my turn signal/hazard light issues.

I posted it earlier, but here's the link again to a photo tutorial (not mine) on the Ford Truck forum:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11535 ... added.html
Old 09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #13

Awesome, I'm picking mine up at Napa tomorrow. Thanks for the info.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #14

On the fuses, you might go ahead and pull them and switch them out- sometimes all looks good but it's not.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The "multi-function switch" (aka turn signal stalk) is pretty notorious for going out. This is one part where you're better off with a Napa Echlin replacement instead of a Ford replacement. Any fleet with older Fords will probably have boxes of bad switches. Unfortunately the diagnostics procedure for testing it is "replace with known good part".

BTW - are you sure you checked the right fuses? The ones under the hood only do trailer lights. The ones under the dash do the van lights.
I also am have a similar problem with mine. It is a 1997 E-350 Econoline. Flasher is working and I checked all fuses and relays under hood as well as under dash. One brake lamp was not working so I bought new turn lamps and brake lights thinking that was the problem but only one brake lamp was blown but brake lamps are working now. Still no turn signals. Tested continuity at flasher relay and when i push the turn switch or hazard switch i have power. Could that still be the problem with the multi-function switch or loose connections behind dash?
BlueWolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #16

Ford E250 SMB, Turn signals and hazards are out.

Same symptoms on my 1998 E250 a few years ago and it was the multi function switch. Pretty easy to replace. I used the NAPA Echlin one, but one thing I don't like is that it sits pretty close to the steering wheel compared with the stock one, and sometimes I hit it into high-beam mode by accident.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #17

Well it's odd now the blinkers are working but brake lights are not working? I feel very confused now. Wouldn't those be on separate lines? I don't think the brakes and blinkers would be connected. So is it possible I have loose connections under the dash somewhere? I would love for it to be the multi switch and I could deal with bumping it into high beam by accident but I don't think it is that since they are working this morning with the brake lights not. I don't know what is going on.
BlueWolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 AM   #18

Check your grounds, all of them