Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #1

GFI won't reset despite power???

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have had my SMB x6 months now and not had any problems with the inverter and AC power. Currently camping in OR and the reset on the GFI will not stay in! Read through all the posts on the forum... Opened the GFI and all connections appear intact. I have tried with the inverter on, plugged into shore power... It clicks in and then pops out.

Before I go any further, any suggestions?

And by the way, the four kids, and 2 parents need that AC power to charge the iPad! Wink Wink!!!

We still have a long way to go!

Thanks,

Robert

puahone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: GFI won't reset despite power???

So it also trips out when not plugged into shore power and using the inverter?

If it works OK while disconnected from shore power with the inverter on, then try to find another shore power pedistal to hook into. Check and make sure the camp power uses a 3 prong outlet. That still could be wired incorrectly though. Do you know how to check the shore power outlet for correct polarity?

If your GFI is tripping when not connected to shore power while using the inverter, the GFI could have failed or there is a short. If you know how to handle AC voltages, you can disconnect the output side of the GFI and see if it holds when powered up. If it holds in you are going to have to jump from socket to socket to figure out what section has been compromised.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Garage

Your hardware store has a new one for you.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

Get an cheapo outlet tester while you're there.

Two possibilities come to mind:
1. no ground on that shore power outlet
2. something is tripping the GFI and it's working as intended

If it works with the inverter and no shore power, that's definitely a bad place to plug in. Also, you don't need the inverter on to get 110 from the outlets while on shore power, they should be energized just from plugging in.

Worst case you can always extension cord from the pedestal to get your device on.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

Thank you guys for the help. Here's the update.

1. The GFI was tripping on both shore power and via the inverter. I was in a campground with power but the problem arose even before we got there trying to charge our iPads via inverter power.

2. Opened up the GFI and disconnected the output. Still trips, this time was on inverter power. No shore available. So presumably the problem isn't with one of the other three outlets.

3. Purchased a new GFI from the Depot (accidentally got a 15 amp instead of 20 which is what I removed...) and wired it up (correctly! Bought the plug that tells you so...) with the output still disconnected. New GFI tripped repeatedly on inverter. It also made a loud buzzing sound. Hmm. (? 15 vs. 20 amp unit?)

4. Microwave, not on circuit still works and correctly is off when I switch off the circuit breaker.

Replaced the original 20 amp because of the buzzing on the 15 amp and plan on getting a new 20 amp GFI and will try again.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you!!!

Robert

Hope to post some photos soon! (Van, iPad setup etc...)

5. Is there a problem with our inverter? We have the Triplite 2000w.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #6

Presumably you've cycled all the circuit breakers.

Disconnected all other outlets (per 2)

Nothing plugged into the GFI.

If you verified the GFI with the plug, it had to have power, but if it trips with the inverter, you were getting shore power to test the outlet with- so your inverter is the problem?

I'd gather buzzing is bad, but 15A vs 20A shouldn't matter as there is no load on the outlet.

How are the house batteries?
Check voltage on the house side, check the ground wire for your inverter, then call Tripplite.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

You might want to check to see if your breakers are fully seated in the bus bar although I must admit I've never pulled a breaker out of my van and am only going on how other typical panels are built. I would doubt that a breaker has burned up because most folks use a microwave as the heaviest appliance that draws large amperage. But a loose AC breaker or wire going out of the breaker could be a cause of arcing noise. Make sure they fully stripped and tightened all the lugs. Do this with the inverter off and no shore power and always check it dead before getting your fingers in there.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Garage

You are in Oregon maybe it's humid... I had to spray electrical "moisture remover" inside all my GFCI outlets to get them to test OK on a house in Oregon. If humidity condenses inside the receptacle it will trip the GFCI.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

BTW, before the GFI, with all the power off you should get continuity between the ground and neutral plus the same between the chassis and each of the neutral and ground. The neutral and ground are supposed to be tied (or bonded) together on the panel. I assume the same on the inverter.

Attached Thumbnails
analogvoltage.jpg  

Old 04-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #10

Wow, I can't thank you all enough for your help. Well, I did most of what was suggested and still had no luck. Called SMB, was going to be there Friday anyhow, and they said they would take a look.

So, we've been out of soppy wet Oregon, Northern CA now for 2 days with mostly sunshine.

Gave the moisture theory a chance and with all the drying of 2 days, pushed the reset button, and... It stayed in!!!

I'm not too sure where the moisture was if that indeed was the problem... I had disconnected the output wires with no luck AND installed a new GFI unit... So was the moisture somewhere before the GFI (inverter?).

I'll still have SMB take a look and let you know if they see anything else.

iPads are a charging...

Thank you all again for your responses. I'll be in touch.

Robert