Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #11

Re: Goal Zero Question

Thanks for the all the input. I will weight the options and figure it out.

Anyone have experience mounting solar panels to the roof with a Pop-top? Seems like I could leave extra cord length inside and be fine.

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Goal Zero Question

Could go this route, looks like zamp has a new solar generator too, takes a replaceable group 27, that's a great feature vs. the unit from goal zero. Panels and charge controller sold separately.
http://www.zampsolar.com
http://www.zampsolar.com/Solar_Generato ... yItk_ldWJQ
I opted to get a panel mounted, I went with a simple Morningstar controller vs. the more expensive (but more informational) blue sky, I had the controller mounted under the bench seat near the rest of the electrical, but I also already had a house 4D battery mounted under the frame, it doesn't sound like you've got one? The portable units are nice, however, having it hard wired in saves a ton of space. Try to find a local RV place or independent installer that can do your solar system if you go that route.
Yes, when mounting a panel to your pop top, run the cable through, pop the top and leave enough length in the wire when it's up, silicone the hole.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #13

Some of those "kits" are hideously expensive. And if that GoalZero doesn't have a convenient way to replace the battery (check the manual) do NOT buy it. Batteries don't last forever, and if you have to replace the whole kit when that happens you've been ripped off. The price of that is approaching the price of Lithium ion or lipo batteries, which charge much more quickly.

Best is to go to an RV place and just have it built in. It's not super difficult, but there are a bunch of considerations. You need to isolate the house and engine electrical, prevent against shorts and fires, etc.

Otherwise, I agree with others that what you need is a battery box, a deep cycle battery (tons online or at RV or boating places), an AC charger for it to plug into a wall socket, a DC charger to plug into your van, and a small inverter. The latter is available at Harbor Freight for cheap. And a few cables.

Here's a 12v kit that isn't too different from one I've used:

http://www.powerstream.com/BP-60.htm

They also make a good charger you'd want for a vehicle:

http://www.powerstream.com/pst-pb1108.htm

The thing is as power needs increase so does the need for recharge, and then it becomes much more convenient to have a built-in system.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I'm doing the simple Goal Zero project right now in my rig. I'm using a Yeti 400 and 2 Boulder 30 Panels (permanently mounted on my Yakima Load warrior). I know GZ's are expensive, but they are very user friendly especially with the built in inverter and solar controller. I have a bunch of stuff from the early days and still love their products. Especially after I sold our SMB and switched to a more utilitarian RB E350 van.

BTW: You can easily change the Yeti400's battery. Goal Zero will even send you a detailed instruction on swapping out the battery. You can even buy the battery on eBay for $124. Hope this helps. Good luck!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote