Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Grounding out Blue Sea ACR with 2 Bank Battery Charger and

I've got a Blue Sea 7610 ACR and was going to upgrade my battery charger to a a Marinco 20 Amp 2 Bank Charger or ProMariner 43020 ProSport 20 Dual 3rd Generation 20 Amp 12/24 Volt 2 Bank Battery Charger.

I just read the below post from Blue Sea about running 2 Bank battery chargers with a Blue Sea ACR and using an AC driven relay to close a contact to ground when AC is available. I'm curious if anyone is doing something like this? 2 Bank seem like a great way to go verse depending on the ACR to open and charge the house and engine batteries at the same time.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/94

"If you have a multi-output multi-program charger, you may want to consult the manufacturer for proper connections.

When connected to shore power, you probably should disable the ACR. This can be done automatically by installing an AC driven relay to close a contact to ground when AC is available. If a manual switch is also used, the relay should be SPDT (single pole double throw) so that when AC is not present, the control line passes through the relay to the manual switch. When AC is present, the relay disconnects the ACR manual control line from the switch and connects it to system negative, shutting the ACR off. A good candidate for such a relay is the Omron LY1F-AC110/120 that costs less than $7 from Digi-Key."

I'm pretty sure this AC Relay would install on the Ground line of the Blue Sea ACR where the "Optional Switch for no current draw when in storage" is shown.

As for the AC Relay from a little reading of this Blog. "Blue Sea recommends using an Omron LY1F-AC110/120 relay for this function. However, I prefer the Omron G7L-2A-BUBJ-CB-AC100/120, which is a sealed relay, with screw terminals and a mounting pad."

Seems to me a Omron G7L-1A-BUBJ-AC100/120 (data sheet) would be a good choice. The G7L makes sense being sealed. Not sure why you would upgrade to 2 poles. B - screw terminals; UB - Upper Bracket; J - Test button.

Well curious if anyone is using a 2 bank charger and grounding out their isolator/ACR for charging.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:46 AM   #2

While I do not have this set up, I do agree if you were going to use a multi bank charger, that it would be best to disable the ACR while charging from that device.

You could also replace the 7610 with their new 7615 configured in ACR mode (unidirectional ACR, only monitors the start battery). It would be cleaner, the downside is that would eliminate automatic charging via solar, if that is something you prefer to do.

-greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #3

Thanks, I looked at the 7615 and I'm not sure it solves the problem since it appear to allow 1 way charge travel. It seems like with the "smart" battery chargers out there it would be better to disable the ACR and have a dual charger than pushing through using the ACR.

PALM TO FOREHEAD. Oh I guess this would work great if you never kill the engine battery. Just trickle charge the house battery. I have accidentally killed my engine battery before so charging both would be nice. However, I've only killed it working on the rig at home so other solutions abound there. I'm all about using the simple solution so maybe I will go for the 7615. Thanks.