Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Headlight Upgrade 1999-2007

The cheapest and easiest way to get better headlights is to upgrade to the so called "lo series" headlight mounts and put in halogen eCode lights and higher wattage bulbs, with a relay system and heavier duty wiring of course. The eCode lights from Europe are optically very good and have a LHD beam pattern. US versions (the 6054) are terrible, and the stock aero plastic lights (with 9007 bulbs) are even worse.

I did this mod to my 1999 cargo van, and then transferred it to my SMB when I got it.

Ford parts you need:

- "lo-series" headlamp backing panel (this is the big black plastic panel that runs the full width of the front and is behind the radiator grille and headlamps) I got mine from a wrecker. E150-350 all the same.
- "lo-series" headlight buckets and associated adjustment screws/springs. These are expensive to buy new, better to hit up a wrecking yard.
- "lo-series" headlight surrounds to match your grille. There are two color schemes (all black and platinum trimmed). These can be bought cheaply online but beware the chinese versions. I bought new OEM Ford from Ford Parts Giant. While I was there I got rid of my rusty billet grille and got the matching all black Ford grille.

Headlight and Wiring Parts

I got everything from Daniel Stern Lighting. I've been buying from Daniel since 1995 and he is an expert on lighting and only sells top quality products.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/prod ... ducts.html

- headlamps: qty 2 Cibie or Bosch eCode H4 200mm x 142mm (drop in 6054 replacement)
- bulbs: I used qty 2 Narva 65/70W
- custom Relay Harness for E350

You can either make this harness yourself or get one from Daniel Stern. He sells a kit RIK-H4R, but he will also get the harness made up, which was an easier option, great quality.
- 9007 female input connector (to control relays from one of the existing headlamp plugs)
- H4/6054 connectors for new headlights
- 2 relays (SPST maybe with two output lugs?)
- wire, looks like maybe 12 gauge

Basically this harness has three sets of connections. Input wires to power both relays, using a connector to plug into the existing 9007 headlight plug. Power wire which goes to to alternator (I use the alternator fuse bus bar box). Output wires that go to each headlamp, with H4/6054 connectors on each. Obviously the run to the RH light is long-ish. I mounted the relays on the radiator support near the LH headlight.

I will update the thread later with Ford part numbers.

Attached Thumbnails
closeup.jpg  

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #2

Headlight Upgrade 1999-2007

Good post.

I have your style of headlight housing (commercial vehicle?) on my ambulance so I guess I'm already 1/2 way there? If the bulbs you're using was there a need to upgrade the wiring? I would have thought to be needed only with higher wattage bulbs (90+)
I'll be following your post and might hit you with questions down the road.

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #3

Re: Headlight Upgrade 1999-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abitibi
I have your style of headlight housing (commercial vehicle?) on my ambulance so I guess I'm already 1/2 way there? If the bulbs you're using was there a need to upgrade the wiring? I would have thought to be needed only with higher wattage bulbs (90+)
I'll be following your post and might hit you with questions down the road.
Yes, you need the upgraded wiring harness. Two reasons: 1. the voltage drop across the thin wires means the lights will be dimmer with stock wiring, 2. higher current draw means you could cause a Car-B-Q (fire).

So, by going to 2 relays and thicker wire, you're greatly reducing the voltage drop and greatly increasing the current carrying capacity.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #4

I did exactly what you have done and sourced through Daniel. So I too can endorse that this is the only way to improve the lighting of these trucks. especially with a pair of driving lights to augment on low beam.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
I did exactly what you have done and sourced through Daniel. So I too can endorse that this is the only way to improve the lighting of these trucks. especially with a pair of driving lights to augment on low beam.
Awesome!!

Forgot to say this is a about a 2 beer job, in terms of time it takes to get it done.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #6

Lo series headlamp backing panel....what is this? Doesn't my van already have this?
Thanks!
Ajamboree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajamboree1
Lo series headlamp backing panel....what is this? Doesn't my van already have this?
Thanks!
It is a full width piece of black plastic that the headlights mount to. It is easier to find this complete at a wrecker. The headlight buckets and adjusting screws, springs etc are expensive to buy new from Ford if I remember correctly. Easiest and cheapest way is a wrecker. There may be some differences in the plastic, I can't remember.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #8

Sorry I'm still confused....why do I need to source these extra ford parts? Doesn't my 2003 van already have the plastic backing panel and adjustment screws etc?

Any one have the ford part numbers? Thanks!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajamboree1
Sorry I'm still confused....why do I need to source these extra ford parts? Doesn't my 2003 van already have the plastic backing panel and adjustment screws etc?

Any one have the ford part numbers? Thanks!
If you're trying to upgrade your headlights, do you have the plastic "aero" headlights like this?
The post tells you how to get rid of them, the mounting, adjustment screws etc are ALL different between headlight styles.

The "lo-series" headlights which are easier to upgrade to optically better lenses look like this:

You can find the part numbers at FordPartsGiant.com. Trust me, it is FAR cheaper to get the backing plate, screws and buckets from a wrecker.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #10

Thanks Anzac! I do have the low series on my 03....sweet! Upgrading asap....!