Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #21

Re: Headlight upgrade (Econoline) questions.....

Viejo,
Here are the housings I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063 ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm trying to get the photos from my phone to the iPad to the thread! ; )

Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #22

[quote=I'm trying to get the photos from my phone to the iPad to the thread! ; )[/quote]

I'm also interested in knowing if you find an easy to do that, I have nothing but trouble. Thanks for the thread..............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #23

Picture time!!
I messages myself the pics off my phone as I'm too lazy/tired to figure out the right way to do it ; )

Here's before:

The bulbs as shipped:

I applied a thin bead of silicone to the housing contact area and let it dry.

The spring clips on the back of the Pilot housings seem to hold the bulbs in pretty well and clearance is no issue at all. Installed:

Low beams. They are aimed too low in this pic, but you can see some of the "scatter" I refer to. I'm thinking its due to the 3 led's and how they sit on the bulb:

High beams:

I've aimed them higher, a and still get no flashing from oncoming cars. The light is great, other than the funky pattern. So far, so good! With the Hella HID driving lights, there is now no shortage of light on the road! I'll keep tweaking them though....
Sweetums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:56 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Okay so I've been following this thread for a while--its pretty much straight forward however I'm wondering if there are any images of the lens/housing assemblies with the bulbs installed? I'd like to see how it all looks once together and installed in the grill area.

Personally I hate the aero style housings because they're just too hard to maintain espeically here in Ohio. I've yet to see any of that type housing not pretty much ruined after a year or two in actual use.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #25
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Anybody have the truck lite LED part # to post. I am interested in an upgrade, initial search did not come up with anything, not sure I want to get into experimenting with light patterns and not too keen on the plastic "euro" lens housings. I know there are marker lights avail too which I want to swap out. I swapped out my rear tail lights to an LED unit I found on Amazon, I like the results, and I have been running HID bulb's in the stock front housings, brighter but could be better.
By the way, for those of you having issues posting photos, do you have the tapatalk app?highly recommended, forums (not just SMB) are formatted for smart phones and super easy to post photos to the forum from photos on your phone, no formatting or resizing needed. I don't bother with the other method-resizing, separate folder, uploading...PITA.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #26

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ctId=92027
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #27
Site Team

I know this is a bit off topic, but I found it informative regardless. Here's a comparison of various lighting technologies as applied in a 7" round headlight (yeah, thinking about upgrading my Bronco headlights).

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/usmcdoc/lights/

On another sidebar, has anyone used any of the clear headlight protecting films that are out there (and as the person mentions in the above link)?

Herb
Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #28

I have a 7" round Truck Lite Phase 7 on my motorcycle and I just got my Xpel for it last night. I had to cut the 6 7/8" Xpel down to properly fit the light. The bike takes A LOT of tree branch and rock/roost hits so I needed something on there (I had a SS wire mesh in front of my old Baja Designs 8" race light) and Xpel claims that their product will withstand "a barrage of 1" stones at 120mph."

If I were to do my van's headlights over again, I would have just bought the Phase 7's and been done with it.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #29

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetums
The install was super easygoing, other than converting the headlight plugs to H4 3 prong. I had forgotten that the outgoing units were a different plug.
Can you share what you did? Pics/etc.

Thanks
dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #30

+1 on Xpel. Got it on my moto lights too and works well and after 4 years, it's not yellowing or fogging.