Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

Garage
Thank you; I'd love to come by and check it out. I am north of you, but am occasionally in the Portland area. I'll get in touch next time I'm down that way.

Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:41 AM   #12

Thanks for all the awesome info guys. I think we will probably go with little buddy to start. Decide where we want to go as we complete the build
PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWVAN View Post
Thanks for all the awesome info guys. I think we will probably go with little buddy to start. Decide where we want to go as we complete the build
I don't know about the newer models but one of the guys I work with uses a little buddy when we off road (in his tent) and he's had some issues with it at 9000+ elevation. Not too sure if others have had altitude issues.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #14

There's a new Espar S3 Economy hydronic small heater on their website. An engine preheater and room heater. (not a water heater). They illustrate it with a sedan. I don't know if it's right for a van. I'm planning an RB Transit conversion, so I'm looking for something smaller that the regular large Espar hydronic heater, if possible.
trib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trib View Post
There's a new Espar S3 Economy hydronic small heater on their website. An engine preheater and room heater. (not a water heater). They illustrate it with a sedan. I don't know if it's right for a van. I'm planning an RB Transit conversion, so I'm looking for something smaller that the regular large Espar hydronic heater, if possible.
The room heater just turns on the factory HVAC system to blow warm air. It's going to spin on low-speed since it's made for a car sized interior. You're not going to be able to heat the inside of a van with the HVAC fan. Plus, it's all powered off the starter battery.

If you want to use a hydronic system to heat the coach area, you need some type of water/air exchanger with a fan behind it.

The D5 is pretty small. I can't imagine an S3 fitting in a space that a D5 wouldn't fit in when you're talking about a van. You'd be much better of heating the interior with a D2 unless you need the factory block heating option and hot water. D2 has a digital thermostat, kicks out heat much faster, takes far less juice, and is a much more simple install. The D5 is more if you need hot water and a block heater. There isn't a thermostat but instead has a timer that you set. And because it has to get the coolant up to temp, it can take a long time to get heat. This is especially true if it's plumbed into the engine block as it has to heat up all that coolant, and the block.

I've moved away from using the D5 for coach heat. We'll have a D4 (beefier D2), and will find some other way to get hot water. Sprinter has a factory Espar option we're exploring, but we may end up just having the D5 mounted for block heating and hot water. it would be a much more simple install if we didn't need create a separate expansion tank and run all those water lines everywhere.
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #16

Hey Dave - who did you have install your Espar D-4 Airtronic? (or did you do it yourself?)

and approx how much was install cost, if you dont mind if I ask?

I know the unit is about $1,500-ish USD.

thanks.

john

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Here is a write up about electric blankets. Might be a temp solution until you decide on what type of heater you need.
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ter-16171.html

Lots of options but I absolutely would not be w/o my Espar D-4 Airtronic. Fairly quiet and sips 12v DC power. At low you can hardly hear it. Unfortunately they are high priced. I'm not a fan of portable propane units but they work OK. I know some who have used the Buddy or Olympian heaters:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Oly...&wl13=&veh=sem
I think ceramic heaters are OK if you have access to shore power.
LosAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater