Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2010, 12:13 AM   #1

Help with Starcool & Carbon monoxide detector

I have a really nice 1998 Sportsmobile that I have owned for a few years. My question is how loud should the noise from the engine be when the Starcool is running hooked up to shore power? Mine seems to get louder each trip and I've actually had other campers stop and ask me if I knew my engine was running. This weekend I was camping in a very hot Texas campground and trying to survive w/o running the AC so I would not disturb other campers. The unit works fine - it's just louder than other types of ACs. I've owned others types of class B's that used the top AC and they were definitely not as loud. I guess I'll have to take it to Austin Sportsmobile to have them look at it but thought maybe the forum had some ideas.

Another issue - my carbon monoxide detector keeps going off and there is no way to shut it off. I think it is going off when the house battery gets run down if you are using the fan. It went off today at 6AM and needless to say I had to scramble to not wake up other campers. Anyone know how to shut it off? I ended up just driving the van since I could not get it to shut off any other way. I was not running the generator when it went off - it just appears to be some type of battery issue. Any ideas?

merica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Help with Starcool & Carbon monoxide detector

First off, the CO detector should never be disconnected unless you have a backup detector or two on board. Definitely purchase one and test it against the one that’s going off. SMB supplied me with two different detectors, the CO and a smoke detector. The CO detector is hooked up to DC so in most cases there should be a fuse located somewhere. SMB did tell me that the detectors should be changed out on a regular basis (contact SMB about this) so maybe your detectors life is coming to an end or it malfunctioning. Still I would check it against another detector for safety reasons. You might have something bad going on and there is no sense taking a chance. I also don't understand why your house battery system is at low voltage when you're plugged into shore power. That's an issue itself or I'm missing something. Are you talking about when you are not on shore power? I don't know what the operational voltage range is on the model detector that's in your van but running the house battery below voltages like 11v will quickly shorten the batteries life.

As for the air, I have the Starcool III so yours is probably a different model. I’m assuming you have a model that works on and off the road and you’re talking about the two fans that run while on shore power as well as the compressor itself. I had a stick hitting the Starcool condenser fan blade that made some noise. You also might have a bushing going out on one of the fans. You should be able to hear the front fan by lifting the hood. The lower condenser fan should be accessible by crawling under the van. I’ve also had rocks and mud clog up the lower condenser fan so I routinely spray it down.

I don’t find my Starcool III too loud, but it does make more noise when it cycles on. You might also give Danhard a call. They made the Starcool system and might be able to help.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote