Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
Site Team

Garage
Re: High output alternator experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
Joe, looks like from your thread it's not a good idea to upgrade with the issue you mentioned?
Gassers can be upgraded to a larger alt. Gasser alts are internally regulated. Diesels have to be upgraded to dual-alts because they are PCM regulated (and after the 2nd alt is added it has to be reflashed).

Ford offers up to a 220amp alt on the V10s from the factory.
So how many years does it take before my 275A alternator burns up stuff?...I've had oversized altenators in since about 08 and no problems at all. I mean Ford even installed one of them. So did they re-flash the PCM to accept the larger unit? My gauges don't lie...the charge increased quite a bit. If the PCM does regulate it, why the increase? And the wierd thing is I was loosing the stock Flooded starting batteries until I added a higher output alternator. Not kidding, I was loosing starting batteries once a year. Since 2009, I haven't had any issues but I don't think it had anything to do with the alternator. The two dealerships in this area don't see a problem with it and our shop said about the same thing. When I talked with Adam Nation, he claimed that they send these all over the US to a number of different agencies using the 6.0. Of course he's selling them

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #22

OOops, I got my motors mixed up. F-series is PCM regulated. The E-series 6.0 has an external voltage regulator. There are three different ones: Standard, Ambulance, and Dual Alt. Upsized alternators need the Ambulance regulator. High output alternators probably already some with this installed. There is apparently also an option for a standalone regulator (not alternator mounted) that was included with some ambulances.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

Man, you had me freakin out. Thanks for the quick update.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #24

The stock Ford 110A alternator is part#6C2Z-10346-CA. The service rep told me it was PCM regulated. I checked with Eric and Innovative Diesel who wrote the custom PCM tune that I installed on my 6.0 and he indicated no change was necesary to the tune to handle a high output-alternator. Basically, I think the service rep was singing the company line which I guess isn't that surprising.

Anyhow, a new stock alternator retails for nearly $500 through the dealership. While it may be 110A it's probably 60 or 80A at idle. For that amount of money you can buy all the amperage you want or need from a number of different vendors. The only caveat is to add 0/1 or at least 2 gauge wire from the alternator to the battery.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
The stock Ford 110A alternator is part#6C2Z-10346-CA. The service rep told me it was PCM regulated.
I'd venture to guess that the majority of Ford service writers have no idea the E & F powertrains are NOT the same.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
Site Team

Garage

Joe you really don't need to upgrade what SMB installs unless you add load. Yeah I had to replace the lug on the back of the alternator but that was because the bolt out of the back of the alternator is bigger. If the load hasen't changed, really there isn't a reason to upgrade the bus. I do take some precautions while using the microwave. I usually don't run the MW on high for like 30 min. IMO 1/0 is way overkill...2 strand is more than enough and 4 strand is probably OK as well.

Like I said, I've had an oversized alternator for sometime now and no problems.
Disclaimer: anything can happen

Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
OOops, I got my motors mixed up. F-series is PCM regulated. The E-series 6.0 has an external voltage regulator. There are three different ones: Standard, Ambulance, and Dual Alt. Upsized alternators need the Ambulance regulator. High output alternators probably already some with this installed. There is apparently also an option for a standalone regulator (not alternator mounted) that was included with some ambulances.
This is correct. The PSD is not pcm controlled until the 6.4 and 6.7 diesel models.

Peter at SMB said that they order all the vans with the RV package which is a 130A alternator. I think I'm starting to learn that when dealing with a Ford Dealership it pays to do your homework.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #28

After a few conversations with them it looks like this will be the next thing installed….

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2001~For ... 70-xp.html

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywoodphotomaccom
After a few conversations with them it looks like this will be the next thing installed….

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/fit/2001~For ... 70-xp.html
Nice! I went with the 250A XP version for the 6.0 psd. They've been great at answering all my questions except one: when is it going to ship?

For those following this thread and wondering why the heck one would need that much power my take is I'd rather have an alternator that is hardly working than one that is working all the time.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #30

Just to follow up, the DCpower 250XP is installed. It fit fine without modification and I also had the mechanic install a new HD belt from NAPA. Thanks for the tip carringb!

I put together the cable upgrade which ended up amounting to nearly 14 feet of 1/0 cable and soldered and crimped the connections and also used military grade ring terminals. Also, we used a 250A fuse in the positive connection mounted in a fuse block just below the power center under the hood.

Seems to be charging quite nicely Thanks for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
xp250alternator.jpg