Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Honda Generator and Portable Air Conditioners.

Will a Honda 2000 run a portable air conditioner? They seem to draw about 8 amps. I'd like someone to comment from personal experience if anyone is out there that's tried this. E.g. New Air 10000E. Thanks, RD

dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #2

Re: Honda Generator and Portable Air Conditioners.

I have two 2000 watt Honda generators that I parallel to run the 13,500 btu AC in my 31' camper. I bought a 5,000 btu window unit for my van which pulls 500 watts. I think I may be able to run it off batteries (2 deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batts) and a 1500 watt invertor. Don't know for sure but it is on my list of things to try.

Rick
02Chevytonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #3

02Chevytonner, I have a generator and am about to purchase a window AC because the Starcool III just doesn’t cut it. I was considering the 5000 btu but now I see dowgars has a 10000 btu unit. I live in the desert and was wondering if you find your ac to be adequate?

Thank you, Langton
Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgars
Will a Honda 2000 run a portable air conditioner? They seem to draw about 8 amps. I'd like someone to comment from personal experience if anyone is out there that's tried this. E.g. New Air 10000E. Thanks, RD
I'm using an Amcor 7500btu with the Honda 2000, no issues with startup or operation.
I've tried 3 other units rated from 8500-1000btu's.. One is a sunpentown, and another Toyotomi portable ac.
The Amcor is currently the winner since it's thin, and doesn't require a lot to get it going with the generator. It has a remote and thermostat..

It ran all summer long last year to keep the cabin cool while docked at home. And worked great when we encountered a extemely hot day in Vegas..
It's still running strong.

The best recommendation I can make when you get an portable ac is to try to make a permanent outlet hole for the heat exhaust, it's night and day keeping it chilled versus trying to use the window adaptor. Another thing I did to is super insulate the windows to keep the heat out and wrap the plastic exhaust hose with a thermo blanket covering to insulate the heat.

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Chevytonner
I have two 2000 watt Honda generators that I parallel to run the 13,500 btu AC in my 31' camper. I bought a 5,000 btu window unit for my van which pulls 500 watts. I think I may be able to run it off batteries (2 deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batts) and a 1500 watt invertor. Don't know for sure but it is on my list of things to try.

Rick
Hi Chevytonner,

Even though I have the Amcor, I'm still looking out for low btu portable A/C's. What is the brand name of that 5000but unit?

I'm even looking for the new trucker ones that are lower then 4500btu's that run off fuelcell/batteries but their expensive.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #6

I bought a Frigidaire 5,000 btu, 515 watt unit at Lowe's. I just tried starting it with my Honda EU2000i in eco mode and it pulled the load just fine. Kicking out of eco until the compressor started and then right back into economy mode. I ran the ac for about 5 minutes shut it down for a minute and tried to start under pressure and the generator tripped on overload, which I would expect. Letting the ac rest a bit and the pressure drop I was again able to start in economy mode.

I haven't have much hot weather to try the ac in but on one hot day I was able to stay more than comfortable. I do have a very well insulated van so that helps keep the temps a little lower inside anyway. I go back to work for six days tomorrow and will get a chance to try the system out during that time. I'll let you know how it worked.

Rick
Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #7

Langton: I have not purchased the New Air 10000 yet. That's why I'm asking questions. The New Air seems to be the smallest unit and will fit between the front seats at night. I just don't know if a unit claiming to pull 8 amps at 10000 btu draws more juice (requires more wattage) than a unit claiming to use the same 8 amps with a 5000 btu rating. In other words will the Honda 2000 supply it? The second smallest unit seems to be the Danby 7000 btu (must find the correct one). Thanks all. I'd sure like to find the answer.
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #8

Parked the van on the south side of my house headed west. Mid afternoon temp when I started were 91 degrees outside and 101 inside the van with no window shades. Ran the AC about two hours. 84 degrees outside and 75 degrees inside. In my opinion when I use the thermal shades and try not to park in direct sunlight the 5,000 btu AC will meet my needs nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
P5270924.JPG   P5270922.JPG   P5270925.JPG  
Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM   #9

Nice looking install! Are those suction cups on the brackets? What material did you use for the window?
Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Site Team

I agree with Langton. That is a neat install. Not seen one like that. Might you put up some more info and pictures? I'd especially like to see how it looks from the inside.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote