Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcnick View Post
It never backs off on it's own. It is not a two stage. By design you can only choose one or the other by inserting or removing the jumper. It is a pain to get to the jumper so the switch makes it easy enough that I can decide. However, yes, if charging at 14 volts I set my alarm to go in there and back it down.

I was just looking at images for PC-45 and don't see the terminals on the few pics I found. Maybe some aren't (dual voltage)?
Dang! Wow, I had no idea this charger was ***that*** "dumb"....I think I understood it to be at least a basic 2-stage, and it would back off its charge voltage to a "float/maintenance" voltage once it detected a near-full battery.

This being the case --- wow, I've gotta make this an even higher priority to replace this charger. Knowing that it can't possibly be counted on to keep the house battery "topped off" when the van is plugged into shore power, this unit's gotta go.

(So it seems the only useful purpose for this charger is to maintain the charge on a house battery that's been somehow fully-charged by the van's alternator circuits. Very interesting.)

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #82

or fully charged by switching it to 14