Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

House battery cable size?

I am replacing my old inverter with a new Prosine 2.0. I am also installing a quick disconnect while I am at it. My issue is I need to add length to existing cables to hook up the new switch and inverter. I cannot find markings on the existing cables, but they are huge! I purchased 2 gauge inverter cables to hook everything up, but they just aren't as big as existing cables. Maybe the coating on the existing cables is more? Does anyone now what size Sportsmobile uses? Do you guys think what I am using will be proper? Thanks

Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #2

Re: House battery cable size?

There's some additional info and a link in this thread.

Brent
Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #3

Thanks Brent. I went through the inverter manual. It should be a 600a cable. Looks like they used 4/0 Marine or welding cable. Called the RV center to asked where they got theirs. I am having some cables made. $60 for 3 small cables with eyelets totalling 4ft. Small price to pay to have it right.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #4

picked up the cables. They are actually a tad bigger than what is there. I believe what smb uses is the flexible 3/0 cables. Price came out to $68.00.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

I finally got around to finish the install. Turned out pretty nice. I was able to use the existing hole to mount the new disconnect switch. Amazing that it fit perfect. The prosine 2.0 is a much improved unit over the old Trace Legend 1.0. Nice to have the monitor with all the info. Have not decided where to mount it yet.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I wish mine was close to the door so I wouldn't have to climb in every time I want to turn on and off the charger. Just a thought....no more of a gripe.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #7

When retrofitting, you need to put it in line somewhere. Choices were there or under vehicle. Took the path of least resistance. Loving the new Prosine 2.0. Took a chance and bought a used (barely) Prosine from ebay for 750 delivered. Thankfully it was as described. I would suggest the prosine and switch to anyone looking to upgrade and older model. Being able to properly charge the 8d then isolate it after will significantly extend the life of it. Next step will be solar, but that will have to wait.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBDAD
When retrofitting, you need to put it in line somewhere. Choices were there or under vehicle. Took the path of least resistance. Loving the new Prosine 2.0. Took a chance and bought a used (barely) Prosine from ebay for 750 delivered. Thankfully it was as described. I would suggest the prosine and switch to anyone looking to upgrade and older model. Being able to properly charge the 8d then isolate it after will significantly extend the life of it. Next step will be solar, but that will have to wait.
What is it?
Thought you were talking about the control panel which uses an RS 232 cable??? The control panel can be mounted most anywhere as long as the cable makes and I'll bet they make an extended cable.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

Sorry Dave, I thought you were referring to the disconnect switch. I guess I will have to use it for a while to see what would be the best location for the panel. Having to flip the disconnect switch may end up determining the location as it would be better to have all controls in one location.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Ya man....my separator has a electrical remote disconnect that is mounted close to the door which serves the same purpose but it's an electrical "low amp" disconnect.....but I understand your post. The heavy amp stuff needs to be close.