Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

House Battery KISS guidance request

Want to check if I am going to be doing something unsafe, please let me know if this is okay for 2003 E350 EB 15 pax V10, alternator is Super Duty 135 Amp or ?? (is there a way to tell??)

I will be adding two AGM 12V house batteries on the passenger frame and want to use the 2006 Diesel van wiring harness I have.

Wiring is proposed as follows: Connect the diesel harness heavy gauge wire to the starter terminal in order to tap into alternator 12V charging (this is the wire that ran to the starter in the diesel factory set up). This heavy wire will run directly to a Marinco 701 Battery disconnect switch mounted so the switch handle is accessible from inside the van (barn door foot well). This is so I can isolate the House and engine batteries when camping, or have them connected when running so house batteries are being charged as well. From the Marinco switch, heavy wire to house batteries.

For power supply to the inverter, there is a smaller gauge red wire,( which I think has a fusible link (two gray wires) inline) that normally ran from the batteries directly to the diesel fuse box. In my application I would utilize this red wire to run from the house batteries to my inverter which is currently 1000W but will likely be replaced with a 1500 to 2000 watt unit.

The questions are -
1. Can I tap into engine charging at the starter terminal, or is it preferable/safer to tap into the system at the engine battery positive terminal?

2. Is the BEP / Marinco 701 switch the proper choice? Hella ??

3. What size fuse should I locate near the house batteries or is the fusible link in the harness enough protection?

(Want to keep it simple and do not want the solenoid solution)

Appreciate any guidance, need to get this done for the NorCal 4x4 trip ))

Ray

Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

Re: House Battery KISS guidance request

Perhaps a drawing will help describe what I am thinking:
Attached Thumbnails
Van House Battery  Wiring.jpg  
Old 05-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

From your schematic, it looks like the switch allows you to get charge but also disconnect to isolate the house system. In the event that you forget to disconnect, it will use all three batteries for the house. Its nice that you can use the house batteries as starter batteries, but I would probably forget to cut the switch when I camp and end up using all three batteries connected which would then leave me with no juice to start the van.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

I see no problem with your proposed wiring configuration. My only suggestion would be to address Mike's concern. If you use the switch below, it will ensure no dead starting batteries, but would allow you to self-jumpstart if ever needed, yet it doesn't add too much complication.

http://www.bluesea.com/products/7650...ery_Kit_-_120A
Old 05-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der

For power supply to the inverter, there is a smaller gauge red wire,( which I think has a fusible link (two gray wires) inline) that normally ran from the batteries directly to the diesel fuse box. In my application I would utilize this red wire to run from the house batteries to my inverter which is currently 1000W but will likely be replaced with a 1500 to 2000 watt unit.
You're going to likely want a wire in the 2/0 range running from your battery to your inverter. What is the distance of this run going to be? You will then size your fuse or circuit breaker according to the wire size.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

Thanks guys, Very much appreciate it. Hopefully will be able to post pics of this!

I will have a closer look at the Blue Sea unit.

Rockbender - Battery to inverter run is about about 8 feet. The factory harness is about 8 GA (not written on the wire, so guessing at size.) It is the factory wire that supplies 12V to the Fuse Box. I will look at upgrading the wire size or conversely, relocating the inverter so it is closer to the batteries. The fridge load is 12V direct, the laptops are minimal, issue will be when using the microwave or some power tools. Good call.

Thank you all.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #7

That 8 ga wire should only be carrying about 40A... which means you'd want to use a 40 amp fuse so that the fuse pops before the wire melts down and catches your van on fire.

Considering a 1000W microwave load will be pulling about 80A, you'll want to run a bigger wire. Look up the installation directions for your 1000W inverter and it should provide some information on sizing the wire to power it.

That being said, you can use that 8 ga wire if you want, but please size your fuse accordingly and know that you'll only be able to run about 400W off your inverter (which will certainly take care of laptop chargers, but most any power tool will be a challenge)