Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #1

House Battery Not Charging

Hi there,
Need some help.

This is my first sportsmobile.

I have a 1990 ford E150. Done by sportsmobile. Dual tanks.

Bought it 3 months ago and never able to get the battery to charge. The person I bought from replaced the battery for me 2 weeks after I purchased it from him. So the house, fridge, lights, furnace worked until the battery drained.

Drove from Portland to California twice and no charge. Plugged exterior charging cable from my home power, no charge.

When the van is on and driving, I can get power to fridge, lights and rear 12v outlets, but never to the 110's.

I see an inverter, I see an isolator.

I need help.

I'm about to rewire, reconnect, replace as needed.

Would like recommendations for equipment replacements and simple (plain terms) schematics.

And/or how and where to start checking if my current equipment is in working order. (Probably start here).

I am able to install stereo systems in cars (I know this maybe nothing like a charging system like this, but if instructions are easy, I think I can do it).

Also, I'm in Portland, so if there are any locals who are free on the weekends and like to do this stuff and would like to lend a hand, I would love to treat you to pizzas and beers.

Thanks.
Joe

josephtai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Joe,
I am in Beaverton, I sent you a PM.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #3

I'd start by checking the fuses on your converter/charger, along with all other fuses. If the previous owner initially hooked the new battery up backwards, that would have blown these fuses. And if the converter/charger is plugged in to a GFCI outlet, make sure that's not tripped.

Sorry for the blurry pic but here's what mine looks like...

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77 View Post
Joe,
I am in Beaverton, I sent you a PM.

-greg
Greg is the man when it come to electrical systems. Take him up on any offer of assistance or help he gives.

Her b
Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #5

I completely agree with Herb. However, if you'd like to get a head start if you can't get together with Greg quickly, posting some pics of your electrical stuff will help. It's probably all centrally located under a couch bed (gaucho) or is on most SMBs.

Also, if you can install a car stereo, then you have a basic grasp of vehicle (DC) electrical systems. Half the battle is won. It's just power and ground wires, and you have an inverter/converter or the like to switch the AC power to DC, or vice versa, or both.

If you start by cranking the van and testing each battery with a digital voltmeter you'll start getting an idea of what is going where and when with the electrical system.

Welcome to the gang, lots of great help here at fantastic rates!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, electrical, inverter, isolator