Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #21

Re: How do you Mount your Solar Panels?

Vegasrandall: Here you go:

http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com ... lator.html

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #22

manny garcias.

that seems to indicate it would be worth the extra trouble to have a simple tiltable set of panels.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Second your design is Simply Brilliant! I will likely modify mine to copy yours. Thank you for posting.
I second your second.

I just got my panels mounted a few months ago, now I want to redo like this. Wonderful, more projects.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #24

Well, thanks to this thread I mounted my panel yesterday, although I'm already thinking about re-doing it. It's a 120W Kyocera panel 56" long x25" wide. It's mounted sideways to my Yakima rails.

The frame is silver and it's visible from ground level; about even with the edge of the PH top.

I whipped up these brackets to mount the panel to the rails:

The AL channel stock is 1 1/4" x 3/4", the fasteners are 1/4-20 stainless

I have the wire (cable) routed outside the PH roof, it'll take a couple of beers and lots of thinking to drill the PH for a cable pass-through......
Attached Thumbnails
solar mount.JPG   solar mount 2.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #25

boywonder: Before I go off to do home improvement, hopefully completing a bathroom which I demo'd 7 or so year's ago, I just wanted to say:

GoodOnYaM8!

(And to ask you to post more pictures and the tooth number and favorite make and model blade you use for cutting aluminum, since you probably have it at hand and since I don't think you posted the tooth count last year.)
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
hopefully completing a bathroom which I demo'd 7 or so year's ago

(And to ask you to post more pictures and the tooth number and favorite make and model blade you use for cutting aluminum, since you probably have it at hand and since I don't think you posted the tooth count last year.)
Sounds like one of my bathrooms, only been demo'd 2 years ago, then a van came to town.

These may only be available now with the fancy red teflon coating; I bought this one years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
blade.JPG  
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #27

How do you Mount your Solar Panels?

That's tremendously helpful stuff, but here's what I can't get my head around. Is it worth it to build a tiltable setup if you are constantly parking the vehicle in different places, at different angles, or better to just go with a horizontal panel? Unless you can do a lot of off grid camping, it seems to me your going to be constrained to certain angles, etc. due to site availability.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #28

Scotty is asking the right questions, saying you get a 20% to 30% increase is a broad generalization. You need to look a little deeper if you want to calculate ROI on a tilt-able set up. Which direction the panels are facing has a big impact on the irradiance numbers, also you will find the largest increases on seasons that are already low.

The table above is for the Beaverton Oregon area, I ran the calculators at http://www.solarelectricityhandbook.com/index.html. I ran them for facing south, east and west. I ran them with the panels Flat, Optimal for the Year, and adjusted throughout the year. Summer and Winter. For Beaverton the optimal angle for the year is 44°, while the winter is 29° and the summer is 59°. My spreadsheet basically use the flat setting as its baseline, all of the % numbers are based off of that, Positive percentages mean that the flat setting is higher while negative (red ) will mean that the angle setting is higher. The chart is in monthly columns with the last column being the average of all months.

The first data point is south, and when we compare the Optimal setting to flat on average it is 8.14% higher. this data point would lead you to believe that angling would be worth it. A careful look at the prime camping months (May through August) show that the flat setting is still higher. Admittedly the Jan and Dec numbers are way distorted to the angled side, but while the percentage is high the actual change is much lower do to the lower irradiance for the season.

On the second set we look at a row where the panels were adjusted for the time of year, here again we see that the average number is 13.58% higher, and the flat setting only gets higher numbers in May and July. This is better then the optimal setting, but it will cause you to need adjustable settings on your tilt design.The remaining rows are for the winter setting and a summer setting, again follow trends that one would expect.

Based on this data I may convince myself, that an adjustable set up would be worth it. But now let's look at the data when we are pointed west instead of south. here the average numbers for optimal are negative, or worse then the flat panel setting. In fact now March through September get better numbers at the flat setting then at optimal year round. Even the adjusted through the year are not as good as the flat settings.

Similar data is available for a east setting, so now with a little more data we see, not only do we have to maximize the angle of the panels we also need to make sure that they are pointed in the most optimal direction for us to see a ROI on our adjustable system. Can it be done, sure, but you might be better spending the money on a extra panel or an extra potable one for the winter months.I have also run numbers for San Diego, which shows a similar trend but the data is even better a flat panel position then in Beaverton.

Hope this helps

Greg
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
My 2-135's are on a custom Aluminess rack. No tilt for a few reasons, 1) I'm lazy, 2) I might drive off with them up, & 3) I've never had a problem with heat stopping the batteries getting back to full charge.
Not saying that being able to tilt your panels is a poor move... I just feel it's not for me. I do think it can help if you have on and off sun. That also applies to putting up as much solar as you can fit on the roof. Again, I just haven't had that situation happen enough to warrant anything different than what I have now and would rather haul a small generator that can work in total OC skies.

With a small panel, being able to point it directly at the sun does help but I have enough on the roof that even in partial shade I usually can be fully charged by 9AM. If I'm in heavy cover I have a flat Solara panel to help if needed. I've never needed to use it.

To tell the truth, after my Solara panels went bad I just went with what SMB suggested. I started with one 135 panel and ordered a second shortly after. My daytime loads are usually pretty light unless I'm in cold overcast weather when I'm stuck inside running the heater and using video, a computer or similar. In those heavy overcast situations I've found solar fairly useless anyway and a noisy generator might be a better solution. I've yet to haul one of those either and really like to keep things as simple as possible when setting up and tearing down camp.
Any photos of this? I am considering the same setup on the Aluminess roof rack.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:49 PM   #30

What I got from the guy in the Youtube video running the calculators was that the further North you are (he was in Minnesota) the more benefit you would get from angling in the Winter.

Now that he is in Baja, BajaSportsMobile would likely just run his panels (on his van not his house) flat, because he is much closer to the Equator than some of us may be.

Vegasrandall had a good question and I think the calculators mentioned in this threaad can provide enough information for each of us to make his or her decision and to show and tell us why he or she did what she did and ultimately what the real world results are. To me, VanGuy's tiltable mount seems to be pretty minimalistic, bearing litle added expense. Please keep this thread going guys and gals.

Thanks boywonder!