Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #11

Re: HOW TO MOUNT A TABLET with KEYBOARD THAT IS USED AS A GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
If it's a touchscreen why do you even need the keyboard mounted?
A keyboard can sometimes be easier to use (by feel) while driving, because my eyes don't need to leave the road -- when tapping zoom in/out with page up/down, for instance.

-- Geoff

Old 04-07-2012, 04:05 AM   #12

jage, It is not a nice big monitor and keyboard like you have. I will have to squint to see the 10 in screen but that is better than the 5 inch Garmin Nuvi.

The keyboard attaches to and supports the monitor plus. The ASUS Transformer 101 plus the keyboard purchased separately costs approx $500 plus a map program so I do not want it bouncing around even though it is a solid state drive. I have a computer, but it is too big and does not have a built in GPS. Also it is 6 years old and has a magnetic hard drive which does not do well when it is moved while running.

Nothing is simple. I might Velcro it down at first and Velcro the back to the dash.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
I have a little Asus tablet (though I use it as a notebook - with keyboard always exposed) mounted in my van for use with my GPS and various maps.

I rigged up my own custom computer holder, and attached it to the van's doghouse with a PanaVise security camera ceiling mount.

http://octopup.org/sportsmobile/computer-gps

Very similar. Used a plastic kitechen cutting board and screw mounted the replicator on it and then used ram mounts behind it and then bolted the tube (home depot) to the lower seat frame.
I did this a few years back with my medical grade tablets before IPads and androids were around in force..

Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #14

Mounting a Surface Pro 3

I updated my dashboard computer mount for a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 tablet. Boy is this machine speedy compared to the old touchscreen notebooks I've been using! (Asus EEEPC, Fujitsu P1120, Toshiba Libretto) The main reason I had for upgrading is screen brightness -- I found simply couldn't see my old notebooks' screens in bright sunlight. The Microsoft Surface tablet is 4x brighter.

I started with an Arkon Tablet Mount for large tablets, and extended its length with some PVC pipe to get my tablet positioned four inches higher up on the Ford van's large dash. It's tricky to find a spot to mount 12" screen tablet without blocking too much of the dash. I also trimmed the little "fingers" that hold the laptop to half-size -- that's all the length they need for my tablet, and they are less likely to be bumped by my hands when shifting the transmission.

The mount rests on the doghouse, and I added an additional connection to the dash halfway up (using pipe clamp) to help prevent rocking/shaking.

Here it is in action.

This time I'm not installing a full keyboard. Windows 8 has an onscreen keyboard I can use if I really need to pull over and type. Otherwise, I'm mounting a little USB numeric keypad down low on the driver seat for common typing tasks: arrow keys, zoom in/out, and app switching. This little keypad turned out to be tricky to get working (software-wise), and is a story for another day.

I tucked a Microsoft Surface dock in under the dash, to provide the tablet power, USB (GPS & remote keypad), and an audio out (music) connection all in one magnetically attached cable. I had to upgrade my trusty old GlobalSat BU-353 puck GPS to the newer BU-353-S4 to support this new system.

I've installed topo maps of all of the USA & Baja California, as well as satellite imagery of all of Baja California at 1 to 2 mpp.

-- Geoff
Old 02-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #15

Nice work Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer
Tienckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #16

Here is the repurposed USB numeric keypad I mounted on the driver seat to control basic panning & zooming:

-- Geoff