Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #1

How to Quiet a Generator?

I would like to use my 1985 Honda 2200X with my 1997 Ford SMB but I think the generator is too noisy for a campground. Is there any way to significantly reduce the noise level? Has anyone built or purchased a ventilated noise reducing box?

antibo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Re: How to Quiet a Generator?

You might try attaching another muffler to make sure if the noise is mechanical or exhaust. For a test, you could use a rubber hose, but that wouldn't work long term. If it is exhaust noise, it should be fairly simple to quiet it down. If it is a mechanical noise issue then a box might be more helpful.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

I had a noisy 3500 contractor-style generator (harbor freight). It was LOUD. I built a plywood box, open on the bottom, with 2" foam lining the inside. I left about 3" open on the top on the exhaust side, and 3" open on the bottom opposite from that. Normal air-flow form the generator moved enough air through the box it never ran too hot, and turned it from a screaming-beast to a tolerable rumble. Not Honda quiet, but quiet enough you could talk around the campfire.

I didn't use is too many trips though. The van idling is quieter, and put more power the trailer batteries than the 120v converter could. I eventually decided to sell it since it took up too much space in the trailer, and the van doesn't mind extended idling when I need stationary power. I added a 2500-watt inverter to van to replace the generator.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

To: Ford-6L-E350 and carringb. Thanks to each of you, but I am a little confused as usual. Attach a rubber hose to the end of the exhaust? If the exhaust turns out to be the primary noise maker, how do I reduce the noise long-term? Regarding the plywood box, I understand that it was completely open on the bottom, and I assume there was a circular opening on the side for the exhaust pipe, but what is the shape and location of the 3" openings? Thanks. Ron.
antibo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

I did not have an opening for the exhaust. The openings were rectangle. Basically the roof and one end wall were each cut short to make the openings. Cutting a hole for the exhaust would have defeated most of the sound dampening. The exhaust simply pointed at the foam liner the made its way out the top. The foam never melted but did a good job absorbing the noise.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Not having seen your generator, I'd be hard pressed to tell you how you could attach a secondary muffler to it. Do you have any mechanically inclined friends who can help you?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote