Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Howto jumpstart my SMB?

Hi,

Forgive me if this question has been asked before. I did try to search, but didn't find anything.

We've owned our 06 SMB for a couple months now. I'm wondering, how do you jump start this bad boy? I know that the van has 2 batteries on the passenger side under the side door but they are not directly accessible. Looks like a hassle to drop them. And I'm pretty certain the cabin battery is on the driverside towards the back. Also looks like a hassle to drop it.

Whats the best way to check the voltage of the house, and engine batteries without dropping them and using volt meter to check?

I'm thinking I can check the engine batteries with the dash "cigarette lighter" port, and the cabin battery with the "cigarette lighter" port next to the sink. Is this correct? I have that cheapo charge indicator that came with the SMB.

I want to be prepared for when:

1. cabin battery is dead, but engine batteries are good :|
- I realize starting the engine and running it will charge the cabin battery
2. engine batteries are dead, but cabin battery is good :|
- Does the van auto start off of the cabin battery? or is there a manual intervention?
3. all batteries are dead
- time to jumpstart, how do you do it?

Thanks!
Chris

phlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #2

You should be able to jump the starter batteries by connecting the negative clip to the frame and the positive to the red connection that is just next to the batteries. Or rather its covered with a red cap, the connection itself isn't red. I've not jumped mine, but I do trickle charge this way from time to time and it works fine.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #3

Ahhh that makes sense! I do remember seeing the post with the red cover. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2016, 04:58 PM   #4

First you need to check and see what type of separator that you have, with a 06 you most likely have a Surepower 1315. There is plenty of information here about the Surepower 1315. It can be and was wired many times from sportsmobile with a start assist feature. In general when the key was in start, the house and Van batteries would be connected.

There were also some that had the assist tab wired to a momentary switch. You needed to push and hold the switch to connect or jump from house to van.

If you don't have a Surepower, then you might have the Blueasea ACR, installed by sportsmobile they usually did not include the switch. If you have the switch you can force it closed or open. There is a lot of info here about the Blue Sea 762X.

hope this helps

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

I would recommend a couple of these too. A digital readout will tell you where you need to be, which is ideally 12.5-12.8 or so while sitting. You'll likely see 13.5-14 while driving (charging), and yes the two power points are usually separate. The dash one will be tied to your van battery and power points anywhere in the back are usually tied to your house batteries, which is the reason I recommend a couple of these.

Robot Check

If you want to get more complex and don't mind cutting holes these are great for adding some charging options to your van, you can replace the power points with them.

Robot Check

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #6

@whith

Thanks, that totally makes sense

@greg

I took a look and yes it is a surepower 1315-200. After finding that out I searched around and found a very informative video on it, can't find the link now though. So I took pictures of mine, and Im pretty sure it has a start assist. That would be the green wire right? And now it makes sense likely what this button is on the passenger side ~under the front door on the chassis. I can take a picture of it to confirm, but I think maybe I can just test it? If I turn the key on, and hit the button should it fire the engine off the cabin battery? Or if not, how do I test? If this button is not for start assist, whats it for?

Thank you so much!

@86Scotty
Thank you, the I have I believe came with the vehicle. Seems pretty cheap, but works, even though it's pretty touchy. I may try those out!

Best,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1727.jpg   IMG_1728.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

my van has a box under the hood with a positive terminal on it. Just recently i jumped someome and put the negative on the ground wire bolt that is on the frame and the positive on the positive terminal (right side) of the battery thats closer to the rear tire the the other one. I have a quick connect jumper cable kit thst im goimg to install next time i have to drop my batteries. Hope thats never lol.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #8

Oh, @scalf77

That was your video!
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...5-a-14502.html

You are the man, thanks for taking the time to put that together!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #9

Thanks, there were always question on how that thing really works. I would not expect the the switch to be on the passenger side for start assist. I would think that the green wire is really going up to your ignition key and tapping into the start circuit.

Not sure what the switch on the passenger side is.

The problem with wiring the start assist to the start circuit is that it will always combine the two battery banks when starting. This can cover up the starting batteries going bad, using a momentary switch directly to 12 volts (house) is the best bet, especially if you have a diesel.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #10

@scalf77

Previous owner says that the button was put in place to isolate a starting problem with the starter i guess a while back. Seems odd, I'll have to get it removed.

Is there a document already together on wiring a "a momentary switch directly to 12 volts (house)"? Can you point to it for me, or tell me what one would need to do? Thanks!

Chris