Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #1

hvac vent is on the fritz e350

Vehicle is a Ford E350 CCV camper agile 4x4

Any thoughts here,

my vent controls are on the fritz and when in normal AC or Vent setting on the dial, the air will switch back and forth to the defrost and back to the vent over and over. Very annoying especially when driving through the desert.

Its clearly a switch or electrical issue maybe. Has this happened to anyone else with ford e series vans. Thought I would ask here before going to the ford forums. gone are the days when the switch was a manual lever that mechanically changed the vent direction.

Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #2

You have a vacuum leak
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

^ X2

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #4

how do you troubleshoot, turn motor on and listen under the hood for a hissing sound?
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcavalletti View Post
how do you troubleshoot, turn motor on and listen under the hood for a hissing sound?

Read through this to get you started. There are a few other threads floating around that deal with this also. This is the first one I could quickly locate.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ing-11605.html
Old 06-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #6

Vans are famous for a line going through the firewall just right of center getting chafed
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #7

Garage
How are your brakes working? When the vacuum pump craps out, you'll lose power assist on the brakes, and the dash vents stop working. I just had to replace my vacuum pump for the second time (6.0L diesel) in St.George, Utah while on vacation. Cost me two days of time and some money, too. I now carry a spare unit.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
How are your brakes working? When the vacuum pump craps out, you'll lose power assist on the brakes, and the dash vents stop working....
Had this issue on my 7.3L Excursion. Brakes were OK but pulsed, and then the cabin vents all defaulted to the defroster vents. Replaced the (electric) vacuum pump, and the vents returned to normal, and the pulsing brakes went away.

BTW, mine happened while on vacation too. During the Summer. During a hot Summer. Fortunately the rear AC system (Excursions have two) worked as it should and I directed some of the vents forward.

Herb
Old 06-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #9

BTW, mine happened while on vacation too. During the Summer. During a hot Summer. Fortunately the rear AC system (Excursions have two) worked as it should and I directed some of the vents forward.

Herb[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately the vans use vacuum for the rear HVAC as well, ulike the electric controls in Ford's SUVs. So a loss in vacuum will COOK the rear passengers.

Mine went on the fritz, and I ended up cutting the rear heater hoses and bypassing the heater core, because of course this happened on the way to Vegas, in June. Turned out my leak was the rear vacuum actuator itself, which ruptured internally.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM   #10

Yep, vacuum reservoir and check valve need to be relocated; both are bad. I did this for less than $10 bucks: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-problems.html