Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

I have 12 hours for input :-(

Leaving for a one week vacation tomorrow morning. Filled gas tank up this evening. Anti-lock brake light is on (brakes are working OK) and speedo is READING 2X vehicle speed. Odometer is also off by 2x. Will chk fuse clock at first light to see if a fuse is blown and causing "funny" things. See no reason to cancel trip at this time since we do have brakes and GPS can give us our speed. No indication of any problems at end of last trip. Van has been setting for 2 months.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #2

Re: I have 12 hours for input :-(

After extended off roading in Utah this Spring, I pulled on to the highway to note that the ol' Sportsmobile speedometer showed I was traveling at 80 mph - a speed it has never, and probably will never, reach.

It slowly dawned on me that I still had the transfer case in 4 low. . .

Hope your problems are as easily remedied, and happy trails.
edroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Ain't much help but it could be a ground in the instrument panel. Some rigs have a vehicle speed sensor (VSS). I assume you have shut off the vehicle and restarted it. Sometimes I will get a glitch that spins things. Even the cruise control. Someone told me to pull the battery leads but I don't know if that really does anything. They said to touch the disconnected leads together but I thought they were pulling my leg or it was some kind of wives tail. I wouldn't do that unless a real mechanic would say it is a safe method.
Hope you find the trouble.

[edit] I know it's the weekend but CarringB would be the guy to PM

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Took the van out to fill the gas tank for the trip tomorrow. Going 30-40mph and speedometer was reading 80mph!!!!!. ABS light also on. Turned engine off and on several times but problem the same. Trans seems to be shifting normally and engine speed sounds right. Ran van in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and drive with no noticeable problem and problem stayed the same in all gears. Reset trip odo on way home from gas station and trip odo read 2x the distance. trip odo read 9.2 miles while actual trip is 4.6 miles.

Plans at this time is to get it repaired AFTER this 600 mile trip.

The Green TARDIS
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Won't solve the underlying problem, but some errors can be reset by disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes or so.

BTW, do you have anything like a ScanGauge to read codes?

Herb
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #6

No scan gauge but I will disconnect the battery first thing in morning for 20 minutes.

Planned trip is 260 miles one way. First 60 miles in U.S. and last 200 in Canada. Coming home the reverse. Hopefully if the vehicle problems are more than I saw while getting gas they will happen in the first 60 miles while still in U.S.

The Green TARDIS
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Site Team

Just in case, you may want to research and write down the locations of Ford dealers along your route.

Herb
Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Thought you had a Chevy. The VSS is a common problem with some Fords...don't know about Chevy's. I have heard of corrosion issues. I think most are in the tranny but I'm just guessing. Did you call a shop and ask? I know it's now almost Sunday. You might search VSS+ABS+Speedometer issues.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #9

Yes, a Chev. Van might have both a ABS ss and Vss. I did a google search and appears to be a not frequent failure but one that a typical failure mode is 2x on the speedometer.

Yes I did plot out Chev dealers along our route in the Canadian section. Bad thing is our cell phones do not work in Canada.

Almost 8am Sunday morning now. Will disconnect battery for awhile and look under van for loss connections (that would be nice fix.....).

disconnected bat for 20+ minutes. Found VSS, disconnected and reconnected it. Contacts were very clean, no corrosion. Did not find ABS ss.

Hopefully you will hear nothing from me for a week

The Green TARDIS
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #10

Signing it to see what the problem was or if it still continued! Hope you had/have a nice trip!