Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
idle booster just stopped working

The idle boost just stopped working. Mine is a simple switch with an indicator light. I just got my '05 SMB but I know it worked the first couple times I switched it. Coincidently, I had a trailer brake controller installed about the time it stopped working. The indicator light still lights, fuse is OK (at least the 15A fuse that's in the wire. Anyone know if another fuse, perhaps in the fusebox could disable it? Any other cause of failure? Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe the switch has to be put into the ON position before starting the engine. I'm not sure if there's a parking brake interlock as well.

I have the high idle also, but I never really use it.

Herb
Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #3

Garage
My '07 has the high idle switch. It works anytime, you don't have to start first. I use it when my compressor is on. 1.5 HP sucks some 12v juice. It did stop working for a bit , but is back now.

Sorry, I have no answer for the original question.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #4

Your parking brake has to be on and the vehicle in Park. Those would be the obvious things. It also takes a few seconds sometimes to kick on.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #5

I have used the high idle quite a few times while using the compressor. I have had it (the high idle) not work several times. The problem usually is that the parking brake is not fully engaged, or for some reason the gear shift is not correctly in park. If it doesn't engage I make sure the parking brake is fully engaged and then I move the gear shift from Park to Neutral or Drive and then back to Park. Then I try the high idle agian and it usually works.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #6

Idle Booster

bgogetting ,
Our 2007 is controlled by the same lighted switch and functions until the Brake Pedal is applied , this only occurs if the Parking Brake is engaged . I just went outside and disengaged the Parking Brake and started the engine and it did not come on until I reengaged the Parking Brake .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #7

So if the high idle is working and you step on the van brake does it cut out? That would make sense since you can't get out of P without engaging the brake.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
So if the high idle is working and you step on the van brake does it cut out? That would make sense since you can't get out of P without engaging the brake.
Yes it does (cuts off when the brake peddle is depressed). Like Jeffrey says, I can flip the high idle switch to on at anytime after the van is running and it works as it is supposed to (2007 E350).

Geoff
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM   #9

As mentioned, the parking brake must be engaged, and the transmission must be in Park for the Auxiliary Idle Control feature to work. Depressing the brake pedal will return the engine to the normal idle mode until released. There is about a two second delay for the Auxiliary Idle Control to respond.

It is possible that when someone installed your brake controller, they accidentally disconnected a wire. There should be three wires connected to the Idle switch, one going to the factory Ford wire harness, one is an SMB installed ground wire, and one is an SMB installed 12V(+) ignition "on" source. Since your light comes "on", it is most likely the wire going to the factory Ford wire harness. The wires have push-on connectors, so the fix should be simple.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to bgoetting
PARKING BRAKE!!!!
That was it. When I first got my rig home I was using the parking brake because I'm not used to having an automatic transmission. Now I stopped using the brake and my idol booster stopped working. Thanks for helping me with that one. I don't see this thing listed at all in the owners manual. Peter DelToro told me about it when I asked him what all the aftermarket switches were. I don't think parking brake was mentioned.