Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #11

Re: Interesting 12V / USB outlet / Battery meter combo

I ordered up the same amazon item last week - looking forward to getting it!

I will be putting in at least two dedicated USB sockets vs. standard lighter sockets where my kids will sit. This will allow them to be able to charge just about any electronic device they might have without having the temptation to shove things into a lighter socket.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
We went entirely 12V with one 4D, another can be added if we need. Sans fridge, our battery meter reads 99% in the morning before sunrise. We'll know more this week once we put the fridge in.
That's basically how I'm setting up too. And I'm also at the same stage where, hmm, the fridge (still future fridge in my case) is the wild card. I mean, I've done the calcs but there is still no way to nail it down for sure between the variation in duty cycle plus the variation in real world solar gain. I'm still between two sizes of fridge (could fit slightly larger one but not sure I want that "task master" of power need), so I think I'm going to try out an Engel type cooler I have access to, at first, just to get some idea of how it will all work real world. Then if it's at all close I'll go with the smaller fridge (which I'm leaning toward anyway because I'd rather have too much power than worry about it).

Sorry about the slight hijack (but I guess it fits in that 12 volt consumption is always something to keep an eye on).

Rockbender: I see your point if you have kids. At least they have to dig up really small things to poke them into a USB socket (vs. say, a finger in a cigarette socket). (Who would have thought when we were kids that this would be a thing?!)
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #13

I just saw these on ebay today...they look quite nice. I actually have the exact USB jack and the blue LED is very near my head when sleeping driving me #%^$^$@ crazy......I ended up swapping this with a blue sea unit that does not have an illuminated LED when not in use, much better.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
I just saw these on ebay today...they look quite nice. I actually have the exact USB jack and the blue LED is very near my head when sleeping driving me #%^$^$@ crazy......I ended up swapping this with a blue sea unit that does not have an illuminated LED when not in use, much better.
Here's what they look like inside.

Close up of smd led , easy to put a piece electrical tape over it to black it out
Old 03-27-2015, 06:32 AM   #15

For anyone who wants to just add a good dual USB port to an existing 12v (round) plug, you'll find that many are total junk and there are endless bad reviews about them. I searched long and hard for a reliable one after buying some junky ones that didn't last one trip. I've had great luck with this one and plan to order a second.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VD ... UTF8&psc=1

I can't find the same one without the Apple Lightning cable, but it's a pretty good deal for both considering how outrageously priced decent Lightning cables are. It has a 2.1 amp charge for tablets and a 1 amp for phones.

I bought this one too, for my wife's car, but it has an annoying bright blue light, and the jury is still out since it rarely gets used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G5V ... UTF8&psc=1

To avoid the light or power draw when not using these I simply pull them out slightly until the light goes out, with the cords usually still plugged in. Works fine and the well made ones fit snugly enough to stay in place.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #16

Thanks Reelchef: Electrical tape or a soldering iron will take care of that problem.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:51 PM   #17

I just removed the smd led and retested the current draw. It drew 26 ish Ma with the led and 24 without . The smd led was about 2Ma. Wow. I did not realize how efficient smd LEDs were.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 PM   #18
Site Team

That blue LED reminds me of the one on our DirecTV box in our bedroom. That thing is blinding.

Herb
Old 03-28-2015, 12:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
That blue LED reminds me of the one on our DirecTV box in our bedroom. That thing is blinding.

Herb
Herb, are you talking about the light "ring" around the center control button assembly?

If so, hit the left and right buttons at the same time a few times and they'll eventually turn off. Then put electrical tape over the "power" and "1080p' lights. Hope that helps.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler

Herb
Herb, are you talking about the light "ring" around the center control button assembly?

If so, hit the left and right buttons at the same time a few times and they'll eventually turn off. Then put electrical tape over the "power" and "1080p' lights. Hope that helps.
No, that's the HDTV receiver we have in the living room. We have the basic receiver in the bedroom which just has a single blue LED.

Herb