Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #1

Interior lights LED conversion

Many years ago I converted the interior camper light bulbs on my 3 main light fixtures from automotive style bulbs to super bright LED's. These were plug and play and easy to do. The LEDs have worked great in the intervening years, although one of the lights now goes dim intermittently or sometimes goes off by itself or won't turn on. I'm not sure if the problem is a short in the wiring or the bulb itself, but I'd like to fix it.

The problem light fixture happens to be the one that's on the ceiling of my pop-top (GTRV camper conversion). Given that the pop-top gets raised and lowered, this fixture is subject to movement in a way the other fixtures are not subjected to, making me suspect a short. I'm not sure how best to diagnose it, but maybe the simplest method is just to put a new bulb in and see if that fixes it?

My second question involves the one remaining fixture that was never converted. This one is just inside the side barn doors above the entryway. It is a two-way fixture and both lights are not very bright. One of the lights is movable so you can direct the beam, and the other is just a small stationary light about as bright as a nightlight. This has never been that useful to us in the van.

This past weekend while overnighting in my camper, I got the idea of replacing this two-way fixture with one of the LED strips that are available, perhaps even one that changes color for extra fun factor and or disco parties.

So my second question is how to go about replacing the fixture with an LED strip. Is this something that can be attempted by my (woefully electrically unskilled) self? Is it just a matter of removing the existing fixture and wiring in the connectors to an LED strip? -Terry

YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #2

If the LED strip is 12VDC then it's plug and play.....

For your ceiling light that's acting up.....it's likely an open circuit; a short circuit would blow a fuse.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote