Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
BC

Inverter Recommendations?

I'm getting ready to install a decent mid-level inverter but not going all out with extra charger, control panels, etc. Dont have a microwave or any other big appliances per se, but leaning toward the Xantex 1500-watt unit as it would be nice to have that much juice on hand for tools, TV, maybe small micro eventually.

Currently (occassionally) use a small 400-watt unit for charging various electronics and running the Christmas lights, but just thru 12v lighter plug connection so not even getting the full 400.

Looks like I can connect direct to the AGM Battery via power block under the rear seat. Definitely dont want to hassle with dropping the AGM battery and going direct to terminals and running new holes thru the floor if I can help it.

Questions: Any advice on make/model/brand/and general inverter experience? Am I thinking correctly about directly connecting in via the power buss under rear seat? Also, suggestions on where you have yours installed, knowing this is a post SMB build process. Dont have much room under the seat and dont want to take up critical storage areas. Would love to put it in cabinent under sink but that's a long run, would need custom wiring lengths, and so on. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated.

BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #2

FWIW: I am contemplating the Charles Marine/Vanner inverter (true sine), one (that i only know of) of the few intervert(s) that are UL listed. But I keep coming back to the Xantrex Prosine 1800 because it seems to offer more watts, dollar for dollar.
As to your OP, really can't go wrong with the Xantrex Prosine, if you desire true sine wave.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
BC

not sure I really need true sine, altho suppose it would be nice. Prosine 1800 looks nice but at nearly a grand, far more $$ than the lowly Xantrex 1500 that I can get at Costco right now for $89.

I think in hindsight, if I were doing the build over again, I probably would have had a high end system installed just well, because, that is what we do. So true sine, 3000watts, control panels, charger, etc. But I honestly dont have a massive need for 110 when boondocking, just need a little from time to time and want more if I ever want to add micro.v
Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #4

I went with the pure sine mainly because the van's power seems to be dirty with more interference than any of my other vehicles. I get static on the CB from any item turned on in the van, and when my phone is charging off the Xantrex (with a plug in Invertor) I get so much noise I can't talk at times. The same cheapo invertor never gave a bit of problem in the Jeep or the F250.

So I figured even if I don't notice it directly, having the laptop or some other piece of equipment plugged into the van means I really ought to have as clean of power as possible.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM   #5

I notice a BIG difference in the monitor I'm using for the tv, as well as dish reciever. The mobile dish unit has a built in inverter which isn't a square wave inverter, and I would get bands in the video output from the receiver when it was plugged into that inverter, but not when it's plugged into the 110 provided by the xantrex. Also, I had one receiver stop working after about 30 days running it off of the raysat inverter, and it's replacement has been going strong for months running it off of the xantrex.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
BC

Buji, which Xantrex do you have, the Prosine 1800?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #7

Prosine 2.0, 2000 watt and the 110 is wired as a GFCI (I think that may be typical SMB install though.)

I've had it futz out on me once when I was running the starcool off of it (it will work, but will drain the batteries pretty quickly) without the van running, and I powered up the 360 I think, I got an output overload, and it just shut the inverter down. Just went into the menu and cleared the error, started the 360 first and re-started the starcool.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote