Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #11

Garage
Re: iPad GPS

My iPad has gps and I don't believe it uses a cellular site, just the satellites. I used it all over Utah, and around town and it works real well with the map app that comes with the iPad, as well as with other apps that use downloaded topos. SOO much nicer thann a handheld unit.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
iPad GPS

Hey Jeffrey, can you share some sites that you can download maps/topos from? Thanks.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #13

I'm told Android can also provide tracking GPS map displays without being connected to cell service...
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

I works! it works! I traded my Verizon Ipad for one with ATT 3G and the GPS feature works great even though the ATT account isn't activated. Here is a screen shot of a Topo map from iHike with my location noted by the blue dot--I'm waving right now so wave back. No Wifi or 3G--all located by GPS satellites. Very cool.

Of course one has to download any maps one may want to use before hand--one should be prepared--and all I have to do is find either a wifi location or a 3G cell signal to download any new ones. I kept the very cool Verizon Mobile Broadband for that when I can find a 3G signal. My rig will have it's own wireless network I can use either the iPad or my laptop on.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #15

Interesting Zeta, but in the picture it looks like you have wifi and 3G available.

I will be curious to here where people are downloading their maps from.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #16

Cool. Me, I can't even pick a cellphone, nice that you verified how the GPS works and that it works on it's own.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

I wonder how up to date those maps are? They look like USGS maps, many of which are a bit outdated. I don't care about stuff in the hills (I have those same style maps) but new development is missing on my maps where a newer or updated Garmin type unit shows it and new roadway changes. Can someone check this out?
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #18

Garage

Sure, the wifi and 3g are available but the GPS on iPad doesn't use them on the fully featured models. I tried AccuTerra unlimited, and Trails GPS, both which I was not terribly impressed with, but I was using my iPhone at the time and they really ran the battery down. The iPad battery lasts SOO much longer. On the pad, they are easier to use (see). I did like being able to download the topos for my favorite areas in CA and UT.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #19
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2cool
I'm told Android can also provide tracking GPS map displays without being connected to cell service...
I have the Samsung Galaxy S Android Tablet and it works great with GoogleEarth and it's built in GPS. You can set the Galaxy S Tablet to use the built in GPS, and/or both or not Cellular GPS tracking mode.
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

UPDATE:
I finally got the complete stereo/Ipad/GPS/internet sysytem installed and working. I bought an Alpine IDA-X305S head unit that only does USB/Ipod interface and radio--ie no CD. It will run the iPod part of the Ipad so you can listen to the music on your Pad through the stereo. It also charges the Pad:

The Ipad is a 3G unit meant for use with ATT service. You have to get one of these in order to get the GPS built in the Pad. You don't need ATT, just the compatible IPad. I use a very cool Verizon mobile broadband wireless router ( the small thing on the dash) to load maps and for internet. It will also provide wireless service for other equipment such as laptops while camping as long as you have a Verizon signal.

I bought two apps for navigation:
IHike uses USGS or US Forest service maps which can be downloaded via the broadband or before you even leave home if you plan ahead:

The MotionX GPS Drive app I bought was very inexpensive and works great, but needs internet to load maps while in use--I'm looking into getting all maps if possible:

It also has some neat features like a compass:

A info page for GPS coordinates and speed:

And will do all the important GPS stuff like finding In'N'Out burgers wherever
you may be.

Google Maps:

Here is the Alpine head unit:

I used a RAM IPad car mount: http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults ... fault.aspx to hold the Pad. Works pretty well, but I mounted it to a seat bolt so it interferes with the passenger, but since I have no friends it doesn't really matter.

I'm very happy with the set-up, but it could be better. Having the maps already downloaded would be a huge improvement because even Verizon isn't everywhere. And sometimes the screen rotates when hitting a big bump--not literally, but, you know, like IPads, Iphones and Itouches do. Nothing that a set of Deavers won't fix!

Z

PS--I have absolutely, without doubt verified that the GPS feature works without any cell signal--it is a real GPS.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote