Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Isotherm fridge

I definately could be wrong but I don't charge all the time I'm plugged in. You should isolate from the starting system if charging for long periods of time because of the mismatched batteries. A smart multi stage charger can be tricked into thinking the house battery is low if any load is being pulled off it. I know it's not much but the experts say not to overcharge an AGM.

Battery Care and Maintenance
For optimum performance always recharge your battery after discharging;
Do not mix AGM with conventional lead-acid batteries (unless they are charged from a completely separate source) OR if mixing batteries, like in most battery dual setups, you can use the two together as long as the correct isolator is being used.
Do not overcharge your batteries as this will void your warranty. Once the battery is fully recharged, remove it from the charger;
Use only fully automatic chargers suitable for AGM Deep Cycle batteries when charging your AGM batteries. Failure to use a fully automatic charger (specifically for AGM Deep Cycle batteries) can lead to over-charging and failure of your battery. Please note this will void your warranty. We have a range of 10amp and 20amp automatic chargers spcifically designed for AGM Batteries (which can be found on our website at AGM Battery Chargers ;
Store batteries in a cool, dry, well ventilated place;
AGM Batteries can be safely discharged to about 40%. Failure to recharge this battery promptly after discharge or leaving the battery in a state of low charge may cause sulphation and damage to the cells. Please note this will void your warranty.
The reasons we do not recommend wet cell and AGM Batteries together are:

1. When charging, the AGM will reach full charge before the wet cell. This means that the charge system will do one of two things. It will keep charging until the wet cell is fully charged and may over-charge the AGM or it will switch off when the AGM is fully charged which means the wet cell is only partially charged.

Not too sure but I think the refrigerator might do the same thing. I would talk with the battery manufacture and get their point of view on this.

Angel you should also have SMB check the settings on your inverter while you're up there.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #12

I will have SMBW check the settings on my inverter, make sure that the isolator they installed knows I have a AGM battery and a wet cell starter battery. The battery charger never has charged past 14.3 V for either battery.

Dave, I printed out to take to SMBW the "Battery Care and Maintenance" info.

Thanks you all for all your help and info.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #13

Angel,

I am looking to have an Isotherm built in and am figuring this out as well..

"4.7 Operation with converter
As an option, the refrigerators can be equipped with
an converter which operates on the mains power. It
can be mounted direct on the back of the refrigerator
or separately besides the refrigerator. The converter
will feed the power for the compressor direct from the
mains as long as this is available, and automatically
switch over to battery power when no mains power
is available. The converter must be connected to the
mains with an earthed power plug."

See http://www.isotherm.com/prodpdf/1361/2/ManCruise.pdf

It seems this converter, which install on the back of the refrigerator itself will automatically switch to AC when on shore power and ASU would be disabled as a result, then automatically go back to 12V when shore power is discontinued.

Who ever figures out an ideal system, let me know. I still am deciding if a drawer system would be more functional. However "CR 42 and CR INOX cannot be equipped with ASU." per that .pdf file. Not sure why this is....maybe AC/Inverter makes it non-compatable. Anyone have an answer with this?

-John.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #14

I have been following this thread carefully, as I am in the process, still, of planning my SMB. I know that one of the members on the board had two of the big 4D batteries installed for double the normal amount of house battery storage. I am thinking that I may do the same. Since Angel is going to SMB anyway, would it benefit her to change to that setup?
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #15

Tom,

Yes, 4 4D batteries...this places less strain on the system and better cold weather capacity. Also look at the xantrex battery monitor with temperature option...SMB will install this for you. I also am placing a Webasto Diesel stove that is somewhat wider than the propane stove. So I am trying to see what size/model frigerator will fit in the 50 design. If I can fit a 85...that would be better than the 65. However the Inox 105 drawer is only 1" taller and few " wider. It unfortunately is not ASU compatable.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #16

I'm not sold on the ASU. I was looking into Isotherms when I replaced my fridge this spring. The ASU works by freezing a plate when "excess power is available." It'll freeze the plate when the engine is running, but NOT when you're charging from a solar panel. On solar panels your fridge just works as usual - runs when it needs to to keep the temperature at the right level.

Wouldn't tossing an ice pack in the fridge do the same thing?

I think you'd getter better bang for your buck by spending that extra $300(?) for the ASU unit on LEDs to replace your lights, or an extra battery.

But that's just my own opinion, of which it turns out I have many I've never tested these fridges.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #17

"Isotherm ASU - perfect for solar panels and shore power
The ASU function senses when only a small amount of current is being produced by either a solar panel or battery charger and registers the difference between this trickle charge and the shorter but much higher charging level produced by the
engine's alternator. In this situation the holding plate is charged slowly and at a rate consistent with the energy being produced by the power source."

http://www.indelwebastomarineusa.com/ under the asu vs classic frigerator link.

I hear the units are quieter and effecient. What did you end up replacing your refrigerator with?
Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Not to mention, it's my understanding that the ASU freeze plate will also freeze when you're driving, thereby extending the time it does not need to draw on battery power after you stop.

Herb
Old 10-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
In this situation the holding plate is charged slowly and at a rate consistent with the energy being produced by the power source.
My mistake - I spoke to any number of Isotherm retailers and none could tell me exactly how it worked. They all agreed that it wouldn't charge the plate on solar, but it looks like they were wrong. Thanks for the link.

I went with a Nova Kool, which I like (and which is built in Canada, which I also like ). But I have no straight comparison to anything else - the old fridge was a Norcold, I built a different cabinet for the new fridge, and it's twice as large as the last one. The Nova Kool and the Isotherm use the same compressor, I believe. I can run it indefinitely during nice weather, with a 135W solar panel and a group 27 battery (battery's usually topped up by about 10am). It's also nice and quiet. Both brands have good reputations - I think you won't go wrong with either.

Cheers,
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketcham
Tom,

Yes, 4 4D batteries...this places less strain on the system and better cold weather capacity.
Whoa, am I reading this correctly? SMB recommends either two 100 amp batteries (rather than one), or using one 4D (200 amp) battery in its place. I think I've read of a couple of SMBers installing two of the 4D batteries for a total of 400 amps of power. Am I interpreting this correctly: four batteries at 200 amps each for a total of 800 amps? Did SMB install this for you, or is this DIY? Are they inside the body, or underneath? Anybody else running a large battery bank? Maybe in a few years it will be possible to take one of the new high capacity batteries from a Chevy Volt and use it in SMB.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote