Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #41

Garage
Re: Kenwood or Pioneer? All In One Double DIN Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Finally got the icons to move though I can't say what is different between the times it works and doesn't. Going to try a map update next; may take the topo plunge after that. It would be nice if out worked.

Don
I'm glad that you got the icons sorted out.

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #42

So, wanted to provide a little update. I finally got the Kenwood DNX692 installed and sound-proofing done last week. Here's some initial notes on the deck:

Mapping: Good news is topo/custom maps work! I am still tinkering with this, but a micro-SD card inserted into card slot on face of deck will load those maps onto the GPS display. In the menu you can select which map to display ("Settings" -> "Map & Vehicle" -> "Custom Maps"). I am still tinkering around with which file types/how many files the Garmin unit will recognize, but it will recognize the Garmin standard *.IMG file type and possibly .KMZ files also. I did purchase the Garmin Topo 24k CA/NV pre-loaded microSD card and it works...unfortunately the Garmin topo maps kind of suck. I have been spoiled with Google Earth imagery in the OEM Audi Nav system and being able to see the same real/natural features on the screen as out the window is a huge advantage when you are driving around on some dirt road you've never been on in a forest the middle of nowhere.

So what I am now trying to do is figure out how to get satellite imagery to display on the unit. Garmin has Birdseye subscription service that you can download satellite imagery but popular opinion seems to be that it sucks as well (really slow download speeds, poor image quality, small viewing area, clunky process to get sat maps onto unit...). The various pieces seem to be in place to be able to do this (free sat imagery, lot's of mapping sites like Caltopo, freeware, Google Earth, etc...) but I haven't quite figured it out yet. More to come...

SiriusXM: One of the reasons I got the new deck was for Sat radio. One cool thing this deck can do which is new to me is the TuneMix feature, which will play one song/shuffle from each station you have set in your presets. Pretty cool - you don't have to be stuck on one genre the whole time.

Regarding the icons, it seems as though the only way you can move the icons is if you swipe to the 2nd screen and then press & hold. Seems like car must not be in motion and it does not work from the 1st Home screen, you must start from screen 2 or 3 and move those to screen 1?
sierraskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #43

I was just looking at the Kenwood DNX692 on Crutchfield. I haven't compared prices around, but right now they are showing a $150 rebate on the unit, plus a free rearview camera for a total of $750.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-e4FdlpES2H ... NX692.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #44

Happy I found this thread. Long story short: someone broke into my van and ripped my stand alone back up monitor off the celiing. Not sure how much a broken monitor can fetch these days but . . . .

So, I have decided to replace the factory Ford 'stereo' with a new one.

Anyone care to comment or update your experience with the above options?

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Pioneer AVH4200 but was reading some good things about the Kenwoods, too. Based on my recent experience, the removable face plate of the Pioneer was sounding pretty good.

Also, if I order this from Amazon, do I need to order a wiring harness?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 AM   #45

I would highly recommend getting a head unit with Apple Car Play / Android Auto support. Also, I've always purchased from Crutchfield for this type of item, their customer support is really impressive when it comes to figuring out what you need and if you need help with the installation. You may pay a bit more but it has always been worth it to me.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:16 PM   #46

Kenwood or Pioneer? All In One Double DIN Unit

+1 on Crutchfield. Worth any (likely small) amount of additional cost for the excellent install guides, phone tech support, and usually free wiring harnesses and install kits. Definitely worth getting a wiring harness as it makes things much easier and cleaner. You can sit at your kitchen table and wire it all up ahead of time, rather than having to do it all in the van. A faceplate kit is also necessary, and cheap. I’ve always had good luck with Kenwoods, but you can’t go wrong with either brand, really.

Older style dashboards (pre-2008) are a lot easier to work on that the newer ones. On the newer models you have to take things apart a lot more.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #47
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
More than once I've had to return things to Crutchfield (nearly always my mistakes!) and they've been happy to work with me. Along with their customer service and knowledge any small additional cost is very much worth it.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #48
Site Team

Garage
I did the Kenwood dn7700 and it’s a piece of crap so ya stay away from Kenwood. The customer service was horrible and now the only thing that works is Ihart radio and the dvd playing a cd I made in dvd format.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #49

I have the Kewnood DDX690. For me, the interface is a bit clunky and the blue tooth is super unreliable. I got this model because it was one of the few that had an actual knob for volume. For me, this was a key feature, and oddly rare, along with monitor for back-up camera.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:59 PM   #50

Picked up the Pioneer AVH2330 NEX from
Crutchfield at end of October ‘17. I am happy with the sound, setup was pretty easy. I have already done one update from Pioneer which went fine.

I am not very happy with the CarPlay and IPhone interface. It may be me but it seems the phone headunit interface is not consistent. I have had Waze work and not work. It has been better since the headunit update, bit not perfect. Pandora interface is same, at times excellent, other times seems hung up. Phone has good sound both hearing and talking.

I bought an aftermarket rear view camera and that feature works perfectly as does the CD/DVD.