Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM   #1

Geoff
Great looking vehicle!
I noticed you have a digital keypad entry on the driver's side door. How's that work for you (or anyone else out there)? Are you comfortable in leaving your keys in the vehicle and locking it with the keypad? (That idea sends shivers down my spine.) Do you have an alarm system as well and if so does it activate it automatically? Or, do you also need the key fob to deactivate the alarm? I put the digital keypad in my "probably not" column but would like your objective opinion before mine goes into production.

J., if you want to move this post over to gadgets, be my guest.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
I'm not getting the keypad on the door. But the Compustar alarm that's (hopefully) been installed in mine has a neat feature. There's a sensor on the windshield. You can tap your access code on the windshield to turn off the alarm and open the door. No clue how well it works.

I really didn't want the keypads. I just added this feature because it was essentially free and seemed fun.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

Charlie - I love the keypad entry. We don't have any kind of alarm yet, although I'm thinking we will eventually add something like this http://www.ravelco.com/. This was recommended by Herb (Bronco Hauler) on this thread: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=381.

We surf almost every day, so it is incredibly convenient for us to get back in the van after surfing. Especially since we may get out of the water at different times. On my old truck, we used to lock the key on the rear hitch in one of those key locks that real estate agents use on the front doors of houses for sale. So far we have been leaving our keys in the van. I will be keeping a key hidden in/on the van as well in the off chance we happen to lose ours. We will not be doing this in areas where it could potentially be more of a problem (e.g. sketchy areas).

We mainly got this feature since we travel to a lot of remote spots. I figured it would pay for itself after locking ourselves out just once and having to break a window to get back in.

Just to let you know, my theory on break ins/thefts is that if someone is motivated enough they are going to break in. Obviously, you should make it difficult for them and you should also use some common sense.

Just my two cents worth...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #4

Garage
I have the keyless entry (touch pad). I leave a key secretly hidden inside in a really cool place that I can't tell you about here. Darn convenient setup.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #5

Jeff, it's not stuck up on the visor, right?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I have the keyless entry (touch pad). I leave a key secretly hidden inside in a really cool place that I can't tell you about here. Darn convenient setup.
We are talking about a secret hiding place on the van, and not yourself right?

Herb
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #7

Garage
Right, Herb. Yikes!!

No, it's not on the visor. But I was thinking of leaving a very visible key that does not fit the van.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Right, Herb. Yikes!!

No, it's not on the visor. But I was thinking of leaving a very visible key that does not fit the van.
If you want a broken window, why not just leave a fake iPhone on the dash?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #9

A tricked out 4x4 SMB looks vaguely military anyway. Stick a huge bio-hazard sticker on each side of the van and you could probably leave the keys in the ignition with no problems.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM   #10

After my Austin experience I was thinking about how bad it would be to take that idea and run with it...

Added link 11/5/07