Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #1

LED Headlamp Question - What's the best?

Hello,

Does anyone out there have experience with the 5x7 LED headlamp options? I have a 2003 E350 with the V10 and want to convert my headlamps to LED but don't want to choose poorly. So far, I have identified Truck-Lite, GE, and J.W. Speaker. The price per headlight vary from $190.00 to almost $600.00 for the J.W. Speaker. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks much!
John

gradalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Garage
Re: LED Headlamp Question - What's the best?

I prefer HID headlights which have brighter and more even light. I installed the Retrofit Source conversion and it works great. Take a look to it... ;-)
Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

User Accrete (sp?) has a thread running in Homebuilt/Ground Up builds---last few pages he talks about his experience with Truck-Lite LED's. Were it me---and it soon might be---I'd go that route based more on their long established name and reputation.

I've found them on eBay for $197 each shipped free.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 AM   #4

Why LED?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:22 AM   #5
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Why LED?

Why not?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #6

Why LED? Look around you at night and notice the difference that LED headlights make. Not only are they bright, but they last an extremely long time...up to 100,000 hours! They are energy efficient, drawing just a fraction of the electricity of a traditional bulb. For the eco minded, they are 100% recyclable and don't contain any toxic gases or chemicals. Light disbursement with an LED is also excellent. So....they are smaller, cooler, brighter, more durable and easily maintained. The only downside is the price, but when you factor in their longevity, it's still a bargain. With this in mind, "why not" truly is the better question.

Does anyone out there have experience with the headlight systems I mentioned? I'm leaning toward Truck-Lite.

Thanks,
John
gradalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #7

All of the LED headlight systems I've seen don't throw light as far as halogen or HID. My wife's car has LED low beam and HID high beam I believe. There's also the snow build up issue. They are great for interior lighting and scene lighting though. I'm sure they will get there over time. We did test an LED swivel spot light that was barely better than the HID version.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

In the event that one or more of the LED bulbs go out, can you replace the panel of bulbs? Theoretically, LED's are supposed to last a long time, but there's always an outlier.

I am a fan of the retrofitted bixenon projectors. I did it on my tacoma a few years back and the lighting output was awesome.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #9

LEDs are easier to "tune" for a perfect pattern, and total light output can now easily exceed HIDs (they have always been more efficient). I use my Rigid bar almost exclusively for "highs" now because lights up the next 1/2 mile of highway. And using the LEDs, deer don't freeze. They panic as soon as it hits them. I think it may be so bright it causes pain.

I'm just waiting for costs to come down a little more before doing headlights. I have to use my fogs in snow, and they will stay halogen because of snow buildup.

If I had to pick today, I would go with TruckLite. They have a good track record in commercial use, and they are sold through NAPA which hopefully means quick support if there is a warranty issue. I have not seen the GE LEDs. The Speaker LEDs seem overpriced in comparison. They have some promising lens technology, but looking at the videos I don't see a huge improvement over even projector HIDs, especially the brights.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #10
JWA

There's an eBay seller offering Truck-Lite's 5x7 or H6054 replacement LED H/L's for $189 each, full one year return policy! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-Lite-2...60767735920%26

As CarringB says the brand name alone would steer me their way.

Here's a YouTube link to the Truck-Lite offering:

Another demonstration: