Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
Site Team

LED headlight bulbs

Was wondering if anyone has used any of the new LED headlight bulbs for their headlamps (any vehicle, not just vans)?
I'm going to be purchasing a car ('04-'10 Crown Vic), and I've toyed with the idea of installing HIDs, but I'm also looking at the idea of LED bulbs like the VLEDS or Lifetime LED. The bulbs I'm looking at are the 9007's. Not cheap by any means, so I may just go with better standard bulbs and an upgraded headlamp wiring harness and relay, but I love LEDs for so many things I'm exploring their use for this car. I have LED headlamps in my Bronco and love them, but those are brand new, sealed units using LEDs.

My biggest concern is the light pattern and cutoff in using an LED bulb in a housing not designed for it.

VLEDS (1 year warranty)
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headligh ... 7-lmz.html ($160/pair)

Lifetime LEDs (Lifetime warranty)
https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... ight_bulbs ($149/pair)

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_l ... _headlight ($249/pair)

Old 10-29-2015, 09:37 AM   #2

Re: LED headlight bulbs

The first link has a video of light performance compared to an HID unit. I don't have audio hooked up to my comp, so I couldn't hear what was being said but it appears that they put the LED bulb in a projector which gave it the sharp cutoff.

HID bulbs in regular headlight housings throw light everywhere which is blinding to oncoming traffic and create hotspots on the road ahead of you. I wonder if the LED bulbs would do the same in a non projector headlight. The description in the first link does say the depth and direction is adjustable to give optimum output, but that could be a blanket statement.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #3

I have no personal experience, but when I was looking into them, I came across this video showing some real life results. Granted this is not a lab experiment and I'm sure there are a ton of holes with his test, ie: one headlight aimed differently, one headlight cleaner than the other, etc but it sounds to me like reflector housings have really just peaked with a good quality halogen bulb. Anything more will require a better housing.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/should...eds-1728026383
Old 10-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
..The description in the first link does say the depth and direction is adjustable to give optimum output, but that could be a blanket statement.
I noticed that as well, and there are videos which show that you can loosen the collar on the VLEDs to allow you to both rotate the bulb for best results, and adjust the depth of the bulb in the housing. I'm thinking a projector housing would give the best results.

Herb
Old 10-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
I have no personal experience, but when I was looking into them, I came across this video showing some real life results. Granted this is not a lab experiment and I'm sure there are a ton of holes with his test, ie: one headlight aimed differently, one headlight cleaner than the other, etc but it sounds to me like reflector housings have really just peaked with a good quality halogen bulb. Anything more will require a better housing.

http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/should...eds-1728026383
I had already come across that video. I also found a number of issues with how he tested, but I agree with you that the housing could make all the difference in the world. If I installed projector housings, I think an LED bulb could be outstanding, but if I buy projector housings and LED bulbs, I'd probably be at the cost of a good HID unit.

I'm leaning more and more towards a headlamp harness upgrade and good bulbs, until the LED market matures a little bit.

Herb
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

As with HID conversions, the quality of light really seems to be dependent of the housing you install it in. I'm FAR from an expert, but I'll give you my first hand experiences. My only HID/LED experience has been on my motorcycles.

I installed a Cyclops 3800 H4 LED "bulb" ( http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3 ... _p_83.html ) into a factory KTM reflector (not exactly known for being a good starting point!) and the pattern was actually better than it was with a halogen. Smoother spread from side to side, MUCH further reach, and an acceptable cutoff. The beam cutoff still wasn't ideal as it seemed to dip in the middle, but it was still flatter than with the halogen bulb it replaced so overall it was a win.

The same LED bulb in a PIAA 80 reflector (which is NOT a DOT type light, so it was never designed to have a beam cutoff) had some strange upwards scatter, as did the HID conversion in the same PIAA 80 housing. The halogen gave the best pattern, HID threw the furthest, the LED gave the smoothest spread and best overall lighting... except for the upwards scatter. Overall, the LED was still the easiest to live with.

I then installed a Truck-Lite phase 7 LED in a race light housing in an attempt to get better lighting without blinding oncoming motorists. The phase7 threw light further than any of my previously listed setups with the same spread as the H4 LED in the factory housing. The beam cutoff is pretty good, but it does have a dark spot in the center of the beam in the shape of "y" it doesn't bother me (much) but it is there. This was in a single light application, so a dual headlight setup might mask that.

The H4 LED worked 90% as good for me in the stock housing as the phase7 in a new race light housing... at 1/7 the cost!

I'm currently kicking around the idea of installing the same Cyclops LED in my Hella E-code housings in the van so I'm also interested to hear other peoples experience in an automotive application.
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #7

Garage

Go projector. I tried the alternative and it didn't work. Too much light scatter. Comparisons below. Driver side is HID projector.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:14 AM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Tapatio that driver's seat POV is WOW what a difference!

I'm sure most here already know of Redoval aka Scott's offerings: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...p?f=44&t=15376---might make for more interesting reading and comparison.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Tapatio: what is your other (non-projector) light pictured?
TheLetterJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Ive done both led and now HID in those euro style reflectors that Redoval uses but WITHOUT his custom installed projectors. The leds produced crazy amount of light although high/beam low beam barely made a difference. I could massive spread did focus well but boy it lit up. I never had anybody flash me oncoming , after a year one led crapped out so I put in an ebay hid setup which is working pretty good. Not as much light as led but hi/lo works great.
Im going to put in a light bar I think...
superbrightleds.com has 100$ setup that seems to get good reviews and they good customer service and stand byt their products. A little tempted but not right now.
Post some pics if you go and do it.