Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Light bar opinions for 2018 (for driving not for show)

Ok ok, I can't believe I'm doing this but I want to find out which light bar the folks that know would recommend. Yes light bars are out of control these days with every kind of car and truck sporting them and blinding everyone they can.

Honestly though my winter commute is brutal with about 60 miles of roads with no lights, steep shoulders, deer crossings, fog, snow, and icy conditions.

The 1996 Econoline headlights suck. I met some guys this weekend that had a sick truck/camper setup and their system was really dialed for our adventures. He had a PIAA light bar on the bumper about waist height. Seemed like a nice location and the PIAA light looked super high quality. He also had PIAA foglights in factory location on his RAM 3500 but I know I don't have that option. Rather than just get what he had I want some opinions on getting a nice light bar that will help on this commute deep into the mtns.

(I'm not putting anything on the roof. I need driving lights, not idiotic floodlights for the entertainment of rednecks)

Thanks!

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #2

so I guess I'm looking for street legal options. NOT OFF-ROAD light bars.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
so I guess I'm looking for street legal options. NOT OFF-ROAD light bars.

I'd be very surprised if you find one. That would have to meet DOT regulations, and I doubt there are any. Too many variables in installation, and way too bright.

Herb
Old 12-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

I have a cheap one and it works pretty well. Although it is an off-road light, I try and use it responsibly. Wired to come on with the high beams.
I can’t see spending hundreds of dollars on a light. Those ones may be better but I haven’t driven with one so I don’t know what I’m missing maybe.

I don’t think you’ll find any auxiliary lights that you can leave switched on with oncoming traffic.
If you are looking for better low beam lighting you are going to want to upgrade the entire headlight system.

There are a lot of threads here on that subject.
BUFFALO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #5

I want better high beams. The OEM ones are worthless.

I believe that PIAA and Rigid have on road certification. They are small bars not the obnoxious long ones like every Raptor I see has.

Anyone have knowledge on this?
Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #6

I'm super happy with my Rigid SR light bar. Because it's half height (and not as deep) as all the double-row lights, it conceals in my grill nicely. But... it's too bright to use with any other cars on the road.

Rigid does have some DOT-compliant driving lights. Also the SR series. I think 10" or 12", and designed to be mounted in pairs.

But before going that far, I highly recommend just upgrading your headlight to LED bulbs. If you have sealed-beam, Truck-light makes a good light. For super great lighting, there's also JW Speaker, but those are $$$.

If you have composite housings (the euro ones, as opposed to the rectangle one), you can put in a nice LED bulb, but only after changing to the clear Euro lens. Otherwise the factory diffuser lens will throw too much light into oncoming traffic. I used OPT-7, because it's has the the same focal point as halogens. Most other options have a larger chipset, which means more scatter.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #7

If you're a little bit mechanically inclined, I would do a projector retrofit with hid or led bulbs. You'll need the clear lens housing, bake them apart, install the projectors (simple threaded shaft that fits in the bulb opening), then seal them back up.

I did a retrofit on a tacoma and the light output was awesome. There's a member here that offers complete retrofitted housings as well (redoval).
Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #8

Trucklite sealed beam LED headlights.. with one caveat: they don’t generate enough heat to melt snow.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #9

Really appreciate it folks. I don't want $500 - $700 headlights or a project in retrofitting.

I'm looking for a on road light bar for winter driving on a long stretch of isolated road. I'm seeing the PIAA for around $225. Installation kit would probably take me two hours.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
I've got several LED light bars, will update the listing with more pics when I get a chance. I've got a nice 20" single row that might work out nicely for you if mounted lower in the grill. I picked these up at auction a while ago, would like to move them, so willing to sell at my price which is much lower than listed prices, almost half. Let me know if you're interested, I can shoot you some more pics of what I have left. Plus I'm right up the road from you!
https://boulder.craigslist.org/pts/d...775422583.html
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote