Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Lights on top go where ?

Our SMB is on order, and we have a few last details to work out... the Ford build should be starting this week or next we think.

We will be adding lights at the four corners of the top of the van, with the ability to aim them to the side or end of van that they are locate next too.

The open question is where to mount these.

Do we mount them so that they stay at van top height when the penthouse goes up higher?

Do we mount them on the penthouse itself so that they go up with the penthouse?

Do we mount them on the Yakima crossbars so that they go up with the penthouse?

Or is there another place to mount them?

It seems with any of these we should be able to turn the lights on at night and have the penthouse windows be in shadow.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Site Team

My first question is what do you intend to do with the lights, which helps determine an answer. Do you want local ambiance, a lit area to work on things, outdoor cooking light, bright lights to keep the boogeyman away? The location is also dependant upon how powerful the lights are, and if they are flood or spot lights. If they don't throw a significant amount of light, mounting them too high will quickly make them ineffective. Lastly, will you have an awning? If so, it will block much of the light available in your main "patio" area. I suggest a porch light as well.

FWIW, besides all the driving lights I have, I have two manually aim-able (up and down only) Hella work lights mounted to the rear of my penthouse. Very useful for attaching, loading and unloading my trailer.

Herb
Old 10-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
My first question is what do you intend to do with the lights, which helps determine an answer. Do you want local ambiance, a lit area to work on things, outdoor cooking light, bright lights to keep the boogeyman away? The location is also dependant upon how powerful the lights are, and if they are flood or spot lights. If they don't throw a significant amount of light, mounting them too high will quickly make them ineffective. Lastly, will you have an awning? If so, it will block much of the light available in your main "patio" area. I suggest a porch light as well.

Herb
Our lights will be more for utility than ambiance.

The two in the front may be used aimed forward when driving off road, and the two in the rear when backing. So the lights need to be at least powerful enough to make them useful for these purposes.

When aimed to the sides they will be more for lighting up the area to see what we can see (security, curiosity, photography) and for working outside the van. Each will be independently switched.

We will have the one external "patio/porch" light as well.

We will have an awning, so the front light on the living side might be blocked, but the rear light would not be.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote