Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #51

That thread revolves around lead-acid. Not sure what it contributes from a lithium standpoint.

Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #52
PvT

I hope it's helpful to others, the adding of this article (Blog post) to this thread. I read it last night and found it quite informative. Whether or not you are a fan of the author, I thought the content was interesting.

Our Generator-Free RV – Lithium Battery, Solar, Alternator, and Inverter
PvT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #53

Yet another in the long list of Lithium batterys catching fire or exploding. Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program-
Lithium batteries may be good for a lot of things, but I don't think I would want them anywhere near where I'm sleeping unless they were in a fireproof, explosion proof (heavy steel) box. Even then I don't think the risk is worth it. I'll be interested to see what you do though, just be as safe as possible.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:07 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Yet another in the long list of Lithium batterys catching fire or exploding. Galaxy Note7 Exchange Program-
Lithium batteries may be good for a lot of things, but I don't think I would want them anywhere near where I'm sleeping unless they were in a fireproof, explosion proof (heavy steel) box. Even then I don't think the risk is worth it. I'll be interested to see what you do though, just be as safe as possible.
Long list? There are at least a billion iPhones out there in the world that aren't killing people. I have at least 5 lithium powered devices in my home that are on charge at any given time. I'd wager there are at least a few billion lithium powered devices within arms reach of someone right now.

You can't equate a cheap hover board or a manufacturers defect with one specific phone with lithium being unstable and dangerous. I mean, we're all driving around with fuel tanks containing gasoline that has explosive vapors. Never mind the safety issues with propane. I mean - you have to admit it's a bit insane that people are igniting an explosive gas as a form of cooking and heating, and they sleep just fine.

Far more people have died from post-crash fires because the fuel tank was ruptured than have been killed from lithium devices. I'm sure this won't make you feel any better about lithium, but I think a bit of perspective is needed if your basis of not liking lithium is because of a few isolated instances that are related to poorly designed batteries.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvT View Post
I hope it's helpful to others, the adding of this article (Blog post) to this thread. I read it last night and found it quite informative. Whether or not you are a fan of the author, I thought the content was interesting.

Our Generator-Free RV – Lithium Battery, Solar, Alternator, and Inverter
That's excellent. Seems to be about the same system I'd like to go with, right down to the components.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Yet another in the long list of Lithium batterys catching fire or exploding.
Jeff is of the old school. Probably still doesn't trust fuel injection, wireless internet, or radial tires. Heck, he barely believes in cell phones!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #57

Most airplanes have charging ports for all the various lithium batteries that are sitting on peoples' lap. If they were that dangerous, you'd have to put them in checked baggage. I mean, I can't even carry a full thing of soap on the airplane. I'm not saying lithium is safer than soap, but that should put into perspective the perceived level of danger from the point of view of the airline. That you're more likely to die from someone sneaking an explosive liquid in a shampoo bottle than from a lithium battery.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
Most airplanes have charging ports for all the various lithium batteries that are sitting on peoples' lap. If they were that dangerous, you'd have to put them in checked baggage.
Actually just the opposite. Lithium batteries are banned from being placed into checked luggage on airplanes because of the risk. Risk Management is all about two factors, likelihood and consequence. The likelihood of a lithium battery issue is small but the consequence can be enormous, especially if on a plane, and even more so if it is in checked luggage on a plane.

Herb
Old 09-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #59

No they're not. You can check lithium batteries if they're in a device. You have to carry on spares. If they were that dangerous, they wouldn't allow them in the cabin at all. A fire in the cabin is just as dangerous as a fire in the luggage hold.

You can't check or carry any type of gasoline. Yet, we handle that all the time without worry.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrinkledpants View Post
No they're not. You can check lithium batteries if they're in a device. You have to carry on spares. If they were that dangerous, they wouldn't allow them in the cabin at all. A fire in the cabin is just as dangerous as a fire in the luggage hold.

You can't check or carry any type of gasoline. Yet, we handle that all the time without worry.
Yes, I have taken them internationally on power tools on relief missions. The (*) though is that the final decision (no matter the code) is up to the local TSA agent when they chk your carry on or go through your luggage. They have the final say. I have always been lucky.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote