Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #11

Re: looking for original radio/CD for Ford 2007 E350

I've also got the original radio/CD/tape (!) player from my 2001 Ford in case anyone else ever wants to go all retro. No shag rung, however.

A little tip, BTW. While you're in there wire up some external switched power and whatnot. I did that with my last radio swap and I'm really glad to have some extra power points for all the phones, GPS, etc units I've got laying around.

Rob

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #12

Rob, I like the idea of being proactive, but can you be a bit more specific about what types of wiring I would want to be need?

My experience with auto radios is limited to swapping one out for a junkyard one in an old Subaru, several years back.

I'm willing to try and to learn but appreciate any suggestions. I know someone has been in there before when they put the new radio in, so I 'm not sure what I will find. I do have a friend who knows the basics and he helped me recently wire a connection to the lights on my teardrop trailer from the house battery.

Any web sites or instructional videos that you more experienced folks can point me to will be appreciated...

thanks
Stephanie
catinmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #13

Unfortunately, it's a LOT easier going FROM factory wiring to a new stereo than the other way 'round. The OEM wiring scheme is sort of standardized, but one often has to get separate wiring harnesses for aftermarket radios. And they don't all match up: a green/white from the vehicle might match something else on the radio, and so on. So color may not be a guide. Some radios have stuff marked; some don't. Sometimes the OEM wiring inside is marked; usually not. So you often need to get out a multimeter and figure what's constantly hot, what's hot when ACC is on, etc.

One of the simplest ways it can work is that the the OEM wiring goes into a receptacle. The old stereo wiring when into another receptacle that fit into that (unlikely). More likely, the OEM wiring goes into a receptacle, and then there's another receptacle with both male and female ends, and THAT went into the NEW aftermarket stereo. If you go to a site like Crutchfield you'll see tons of those sold as adapters to fit new radios. They have great instructions. If you're very unlucky, someone just cut and spliced the wires, and there are no easy to use receptacles.

You never know what the previous owner has done, so check any wiring with a multimeter. I've reinstalled stereos on several used vehicles; the worst was one from a kid with a humongous sound set up included rear amp, etc. It can be a mess. In that case I pretty much had to design my own and completely ignore his setup.

And since you're going backwards, be aware that there might be stuff in there you don't need. It could include sat radio antenna connections, aux inputs from CD changers or amps, extra speakers that were added, and, as you said, bells and whistles, each with it's own wire.

I would suggest hanging on to the radio you're pulling just in case it's too much of a mess. I hate to sound alarmist (and oh boy that's another horror story with used cars!) but best to be prepared. The easiest option might be to leave well enough alone.

As you can see, you need to diagnose what's in there, so when you do find that ACC power and so on at least label it for future reference, and splice into it run some wire to an accessible spot if you need to wire in some USB power, or GPS unit, or whatever. Saves you from pulling the whole thing later.