Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 AM   #21

I have an SD card reader (and xD and one of each of everything else) built into the laptop, one of each again on each of my printers and more in my frigging MONITOR for crissake!

You may already have a reader.

(My phone and Jeep radio also have SD cards, yikes!)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #22

No reader, but those frick'n cards are everywhere I guess. Anyway, here is another map option. Considerably more $ and it includes main land Mexico, which I could care less about. Nice thing, is they will send it to you electronically. http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/Mexico_Atlas_GPS_Low_En.htm

Er, ah, yea, I have a reader on my lap top. However, Lowrance reqires use of it own card reader, if you can believe it, to use Mapcreate7.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #23

Hey guys, just in case you're not aware, there are several Mexico/Baja maps out there, but be sure to check if they will work with the GPS you have. Each manufacturer has proprietary software and what works in one most likely won't work in another. I will be checking out the ones mentioned above.
deminimis, I'll email you re this and other stuff.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #24

Just ordered up the Baja map. They think I'll have it by Friday.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #25

Yep there's a few map options out there, but not nearly as much as the Garmin 276c. That being said, i wonder how these cards will do 'detailed wise'. Some of the stuff i've seen for sale isn't all that good and your better off with a paper map. Others just don't work with the baja.

$195 for that map card that you can download? Shoot i thought $100 was expensive for the one i have! Not to mention, you don't know good it is, if it will actually work and if it doesn't can you return it? yikes.

As far as copying the card to the actual unit... Don't think the Baja540 has that much memory. I know my mapcard is a 2gb map card with 4-5 states on it. There's no way i could copy it to the unit.

Deminimis, let us know how that card works out for you. I'd be interested to know.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
No reader, but those frick'n cards are everywhere I guess. Anyway, here is another map option. Considerably more $ and it includes main land Mexico, which I could care less about. Nice thing, is they will send it to you electronically. http://www.bicimapas.com.mx/Mexico_Atlas_GPS_Low_En.htm
This place is listed as a US Distributor for the site mentioned. Looks like some good stuff.

http://www.mexicomaps.com/

Herb
Old 12-10-2008, 10:45 AM   #27

Yea, I didn't really mean copying the files to the GPS unit, but rather, would like to make a backup of it on a CD in case something happens to the orig SD card. We have a puppy. I can see that little monster eating a SD card that mistakenly falls to the floor. Or the kids doing something to it.

I will certainly report back on the map's usefullness. Keep in mind, I'm totally new to this GPS stuff, so my review will be that of a novice (well, after a couple of weeks in Baja, I might be an expert).
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #28

I went to the site Herb quoted from bicmapas for Lowrance GPS maps and there is a place to download a sample. I've done that, but can't get it to open or display. Anyone else with been able to get it to work? Sure would be nice to see an example of the maps.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #29

The off-road guys I talked to, as well as the PCI guy all agreed the Baja map available through PCI (bicimapos, but only Baja) was the best there is right now. Won't have it until Monday now (just checked UPS tracking).

Installed the 540c last night. I've got to say I'm dissappointed with the loaded US map. Not much for streets. Just basic features. Damn accurate locating though. Hate the idea of dropping another $100 for just the West Coast Freedom Map. Haven't really found any freeware for it (lots for Garmin though). Almost makes more sense to go buy a tom tom for US street nav and use the Lowrance for off road and Baja.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatter
I went to the site Herb quoted from bicmapas for Lowrance GPS maps and there is a place to download a sample. I've done that, but can't get it to open or display. Anyone else with been able to get it to work? Sure would be nice to see an example of the maps.
Is this what you're looking for?

Herb