Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Lowrance GPS Antenna Placement?

I looked, but could not find who it was that installed a Lowrance antenna for his/her Baja 540C on the front bumper. Seems like a quick and simple location for the install. How does it work? Seems like the van would block a lot of sat signals, but this is all new to me. If not the front bumper, anyone have an idea for a quick and dirty install location (I'm just running out of free time before we leave on the 23rd for Baja). I understand dash mounting is not that great an idea, but again, what do I know. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We have two dash mounted GPS antennas (one for the drivers Nuvi 350 and one for the passengers laptop) and have seen absolutely no problems in almost 10k miles. They are also hidden under a Dashmat.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:29 AM   #3

That would be ours. It was simple, easy and it's well protected. It works just fine. No blocking of the signals, but you do have to make sure its not under the hoop of the bumper too much or else you can lose signal because the tubing can block it's line of sight with the satellites.

Just drilled two pilot holes and then ran some metal screws. You can drill a large hole for the cable coax, but i didn't feel the need. Here's a couple shots.

I dont know if you know, but there's little to no support for maps for the BAJA in Baja. It's really quite stupid. The name of the GPS should have been something else. If you need more detailed maps for Baja, the Garmin 276c has a ton of support. This was one drawback when we chose the 540c.. however i love the screen size.

As far as the dash is concerned, i bet you could get away with some industrial velcro and sticking it to the dash closest to the center of the front windshield. Its a very sensitive unit.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #4

deminimis, if you're in a hurry, I'd set the antenna on the dashboard. Velcro or under the dash mat will hold it in place and I did that for a while till I did a permanent mount. Another option is to put it under the hood as the fiberglass hood won't block the signals. But then again, there's a lot of heat under there and I don't know what the temp specs are for the antenna. I ended up putting mine on the roof and back far enough so it's under the penthouse when the roof is down. Works great, no chance of a blocked signal and it's out of the weather. Took a couple of hours and a band aid or two to install. Ran the cable under the headliner to behind the drivers door and then behind the trim over the door, down the pillar and over to the GPS mounted on the dog house. If you do a temp setup, you can check mine out in Baja.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #5

Hey Adventureduo, your van is cleaner than mine....by a lot! Thanks folks. I think I'll go with the temp dash install for now, as it sounds like it works for ya'all. In the Spring, I'll likely go with a roof mount like Scatter suggested. Thanks to all again. Scatter, hope the Pacifcos are on ice. Only two weeks until our expected departure date!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 02:56 PM   #6

Well thank you. But, don't give me all the credit. It was owned by Russ Colby, a retired firefighter from SoCal here and he kept good care of it. We will choose to do the same.

Fiberglass hood? Who has fiberglass hoods? Mine's steel.

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 12-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #7

Mine's fiberglass too. Sure your's isn't? Mine is a '03 as well.

I was noticing today just how dirty my van has gotten. It needs a good scrubb'n.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #8

Brb, lemme go pop the hood.. the SMB is out in the warehouse.

EDIT: Well i feel like a idiot. It is Fiberglass. I never noticed!!!

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #9

Not to worry AD. Yea, calling the Baja a "Baja" without having a Baja map is, well, silly. Of course, these are used extensively in the Baja 1000, hence the name. But still, it seems rather dumb. Lowrance doesn't have a customer service link on their website that I could find, otherwise I'd point it out to them because I'm sure they've overlooked this.

I think its Scatter's duty as a part-time Baja resident to develope an exhaustive map of Baja....and to share it with all.

What has me more spun than the lack of an available Baja map for the Baja, is the fact that the newest edition of the Baja Almanac is still not available. Damn. Can't even find a used one at Powell's Books either. I've got a bid in on an old Norte version on E-Hell, but that's unlikely to pan out. But, I digress.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Don't worry deminimis, I've got a printer on the beach and we can burn you a copy of a page or two of the Almanac soes you can find your way home...

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote