Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Manual transfer switch

I have a 99 e350 I have been converting for almost a year now and have it completely built out and have begun installing an electrical system completely independent from the vans original electrical system.

Xantrex freedom hfs 1000 inverter/charger
Honda 2000 generator
180 ah deep cell 12v battery bank

My question is for separating "shore power" (which I plan to only have a 15amp inlet) from my other incoming source of power, the generator, can I get away with using something simple like this :

Newmar SS 3.0 Transfer Switch - Newmar SSSWITCH30 - AC Circuit Panels - Electrical Parts - Electrical - Boatersland Marine

Looks to me as if I can switch back and forth between gen and shore but would never bridge the gap accidentally.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Ajsanteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #2

That would work, but a <$20dollar DPDT on-off-on switch would do the same thing. just make sure to get one rated for your max amperage.
https://www.amazon.com/Toggle-Switch...-off-on+switch
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #3

Keeping it simple. Thanks for the reply. That particular switch is only 30amps for 12v but I see now simple switches that can handle the 30 amps on 120v also for almost the same price. Seems like the ticket.
Ajsanteiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual transfer switch