Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
Re: Mileage on diesels - BullyDogs - Redline 85 Plus

Dave,

I think you hit the key....

If someone is looking for fuel economy, you save by driving 55mph.
You lose around 8% to 10% for every 5mph you increase above 55mph.

...even with chips and other tuning devices it remains the same... you gain from driving 55mph.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Greg, I've never read any field test reports about claims made using engine tuning to gain mileage but would assume if you can re-program some of the emissions protocol that Ford installs in the 6.0 PSD you could gain mileage. I chipped my pickup and gained on trucks MPG but it wasn't much at all. My biggest gain in mileage has gone up within the last 15 K or so and I think it might have to do with the engine breakin. I also noticed a large jump when I switched to E-rated tires that I forgot to mention. But if I'm driving in the hills it shoots back to about 12/13 (or worse). Bucking wind hurts too. The only true way to test it is to go up somewhere and come back the exact same path. Just think if everywhere we had to drive to was downhill . Coming back from DV we fueled at lake Isabella then shot over the steeper of the two passes into the central valley. The one pass is so steep I was getting 2 and 3 MPG but it was a short climb and a long gradual slope down to Fresno. From there it was flat to home. I got over 18 MPG just because of the downward slope and staying at 55MPH or slower. That was the best mileage I've ever got out of her so far.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Yes, I could see the E-rated tires making a difference. That would be a similar impact to keeping your tires at a higher psi, closer to the max cold rating. I expect that E-rated tires are stiffer and thus would consume less energy in bending/flexing the sidewalls.

Wind and hills will make a difference for any vehicle at any speed.

I suspect that even when 'chipping' a vehicle to get better fuel economy, that one could still not overcome the underlying economy found in driving slower.

Much of this really revolves around the drag from the air itself, and how it grows exponentially with speed. THis of course is a problem for our vans with the aerodynamics of a wall.

UPS and another package carrier (maybe DHL) did studies last year and found the 8% to 10% per 5mph and had their drivers slow down to save money.

I expect that we will start seeing LRR (low rolling resistance) tires marketed in the next couple of years to help with fuel economy. ...but we may not get E-rated versions....
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #14

Thanks for the link and the PSD power cocktail
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #15

Thanks for your responses - - here are some other suggestions I've heard the past 48 hours:

- Replace the Ford's air box filter with a K & N Filter (could save 2 MPG)

- Have an air intake box installed - - it will help with a gain in efficiency

- Lucas Additive - good for jets (don't use the 85 plus)

- Instead of Bullydog - - use the 'Chip' product: Superchips Flashpaq (model 1805) for 2003-2007 Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Superchips Flashpaq Programmer.
The Flashpaq is better because you can program other things like tire size, etc which you can't with the Bullydog system.
I just bought a Flashpaq on craigslist for $200 (retails $350) - - I get it on Monday and will report back! Thanks again everyone for your input.
Grebitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grebitus
Thanks for your responses - - here are some other suggestions I've heard the past 48 hours:

- Replace the Ford's air box filter with a K & N Filter (could save 2 MPG)

- Have an air intake box installed - - it will help with a gain in efficiency

- Lucas Additive - good for jets (don't use the 85 plus)

- Instead of Bullydog - - use the 'Chip' product: Superchips Flashpaq (model 1805) for 2003-2007 Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Superchips Flashpaq Programmer.
The Flashpaq is better because you can program other things like tire size, etc which you can't with the Bullydog system.
I just bought a Flashpaq on craigslist for $200 (retails $350) - - I get it on Monday and will report back! Thanks again everyone for your input.
For now I will pass on the K&N filter. I've heard reports about problems with the computer throwing codes due to flows and many people don't monitor the filter which needs to be cleaned/recharged often. I'd like to hear more stats about them though. Several local farmers claim they had caused turbo problems due to the K&N as they say dirt can get through but it could be BS. I've used them in other vehicles with no problems. I know our shop people don't like em and I don't need to give Ford any more bullits. The Lucus stuff is good but I understand it and all additives might mess with the Espar systems and I don't want to be a beta tester on that, but would like to hear from anyone using additives that have Espar products. Also if anybody has a solution for a better air box I would like some info on that as well. I have never found anything that fits in a van, only pickups.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #17

Dave ,
Have you checked on Zylstra Diesel in Visalia www.thefuelbox.com
They have done quite a lot of work on and for SportsMobiles and come highly recommended by all that have used them . Shane I believe is the contact person . I plan to have them install one of their custom Air Boxes as soon as I find the time to run up there .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Incidentially I think getting 20 over more than a small stretch is also total BS.
Actually, I get 20 MPG routinely.

But, I don't have a 4x4 and I drive almost exclusively highway with a light pedal and 3.55 rear.

What helped me attain such good mileage? Numerous things, combined:
1. Diesel engine.
2. Synthetic oil in everything.
3. SCT Live Wire programming (specifically for economy)
4. Fuel additive, usually Diesel Kleen.
5. Scan Gauge (which I monitor and adjust pedal pressure accordingly)

I do have to "work" for that mileage by constantly watching the ScanGauge and easing up on the fuel pedal whenever possible. Surprisingly, you can ease up on the fuel pedal once you're up to speed and gain 2-3 MPG.

City driving quickly brings my mileage down to 17 or so, with a low of around 13 or 14 with extended winter idling and a lot of city driving.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Dave ,
Have you checked on Zylstra Diesel in Visalia http://www.thefuelbox.com
They have done quite a lot of work on and for SportsMobiles and come highly recommended by all that have used them . Shane I believe is the contact person . I plan to have them install one of their custom Air Boxes as soon as I find the time to run up there .
Greggde
Custom air box?? Are you talking about the air intake here Greggde? I'd sure like to do something about the air intake on my rig. I have an '07 and all the air that feeds the engine has to come in around the left headlight. I can't believe the small area there for an intake. I don't think Ford detuned the 6.0 for the van, it just performs that way due to lack of breathing....
Maybe I should run with one headlight now that I have better lamps and remove the left one and get some good ram air....
NEED more info, info, info Greggde.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #20

Scatter ,
Yes I am referring to the Air Intake / Air Filter that Ford has mounted (greased and shoehorned) into the drivers side front fender . I have seen two different SportsMobiles a 2006 and a 2007 with the Zilstra system and both owners claimed that they had an increase in power and milage . I posed the question to our Forums resident Guru and he confirmed that SportsMobile owners have been happy with the work done by these people .
Zylstra Performance Products (559) 739-0818 www.zylstraauto.com attention Sean Zylstra .
I stopped by their facility hoping to pick up one of the Air Systems and Sean told me that they fabricate these units as needed . I plan to call him soon and make an appointment for one of these units .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote