Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #1

Mobile Satellite Based Internet

We have a trip planned to Baja in October where we will not have any chance at cellular service. Unfortunately my wife's work is going to require her to be able to connect to the office during this time (email, possibly VPN) and she is trying to figure out if she can go on the trip.

We found a potential solution through Verizon - http://www.vzwsatellite.com/products/bgan. This is a rental option where they charge various rates for data and voice. The product is the Sabre Wideye BGAN Terminal.

Does anyone have any experience with this or something similar? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Mobile Satellite Based Internet

You should have TelCel coverage in Abreojos and you can get a data plan.
http://homeonthehighway.com/articles...ked-cellphone/

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #3

Garage

Maybe is a used conventional satellite phone with a standard plan cheaper..? You can find many used on eBay for less than 250 bucks...
Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #4

sdwindansea, having been in same position and traveling in remote areas, Ive tried a few Sat-Comm options. They do okay for tele/txt mostly. We found that planning our travels thru locations with wifi (coffee shops, etc) is about the best way to get real i-net on occasion. And Mexico still has roadside 'cyber-cafes' in some fun little places. That said, I used a very similar one for a week in the back of Lake Powell and racked up about a $40/day bill (worth every penny on this lake).

The upside to this method is we dont even try whilst in the hills, and we are quick and efficient when we do grab some wifi. Its by no means the perfect solution, but we see the scenes, and keep the office contacts happy.

I recently purchased the Wilson Cellular Wireless Booster (http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/ ... 8/wireless) and am impressed.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
sdwindansea, having been in same position and traveling in remote areas, Ive tried a few Sat-Comm options. They do okay for tele/txt mostly. We found that planning our travels thru locations with wifi (coffee shops, etc) is about the best way to get real i-net on occasion. And Mexico still has roadside 'cyber-cafes' in some fun little places. That said, I used a very similar one for a week in the back of Lake Powell and racked up about a $40/day bill (worth every penny on this lake).

The upside to this method is we dont even try whilst in the hills, and we are quick and efficient when we do grab some wifi. Its by no means the perfect solution, but we see the scenes, and keep the office contacts happy.

I recently purchased the Wilson Cellular Wireless Booster (http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/store/ ... 8/wireless) and am impressed.
Loren, not to hijack but which of the 2 in the link did you go with? We too would benefit from better accessibility in the hinterlands.
Thanks!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #6

86:

Dual-Band (800/1900 MHz) Mobile Wireless. It's a notable reception boost but you gotta close to their antenna. I like the portable one too but I wanted max boost.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #7

The Wilson products are great. When cell phones had external antenna plug in ports we used a Wilson antenna. The 10X boost got us connected most everywhere we went.

Have not tried the dual band mobile wireless unit yet. One thing that used to be in the install manual was that the inside antenna needed to be just a few inches (9"??) from your head (cell phone). Do not know if that is still true or if that causes any problem for someone with a cell phone in the front seat that doesn't have the antenna. loren85022 what is your experience???

Well...... I hope your answer is positive.....I just ordered one on Amazon for $259.25 plus the state tax the I will report and pay

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll definitely look into the TelCel coverage option. Do satellite phones include access to email? I thought they were just phone/text based.

We have done the Wifi cafes many times in the past. Unfortunately it is not an option on this trip as we will be camped on a beach for days at a time. I know it sounds terrible, but we'll manage somehow...
Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #9

Maybe your wife could put work related messages in empty tequila bottles and put them in the ocean? Then she just has to stay on the beach and watch for return mail.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #10

Len, sounds like a great plan to me. I'd even be so kind as to help make sure the tequila bottles are empty. Call me a romantic.