Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #11

Re: Need help figuring out the electric in my new to me SMB.

Thanks all. I just got back from a 3-day, 2-night maiden voyage. The van was great. It does have a separator not an isolator and the green light I saw is on the Charge Wizard, have to look that one up. No inverter just a converter, I will probably pick up a Honda 2000 generator to run the 110 AC outlets. I drove 425 mi at 55-75mph staying at the speed limits, there was a little shimmy from about 68-71mph other than that it drove ok. I got 16.7 mpg for the trip. The PH spring up behind the drivers head makes noise on every bump, I'll try to put some rubber under it to see if that helps. I ran the frig all weekend at about halfway (2.5 on the 1-5 dial) and it kept things ice cold though the compressor was a little noisy. No AC power there so I didn't try the AC or microwave, however I did turn the AC on while driving and it put out nice cold air.

ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc0720
Greg,

"Speaking of the green light. It may not a separator. They did not start putting them in until around late spring / early summer. It is possible that you have an isolator instead. The isolator is listed in the 2004 manual." ….

This van's conversion was completed in Feb. 05. So do you think I have a separator or an isolater, and what is the preferred one to have?
Sorry did not see this, yes if it was completed 2005 it should have a separator. I miss read the converted in winter 2004 part.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #13

You may want to study the electrical diagram I posted at http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hp?f=14&t=3846 to see if it is similar to your set-up. It helped me answer lots of questions I had as a newbie SMB owner. And I must also stand corrected, I said the green light was your separater - you are correct, it is the power charge management sytsem (i.e., Wizard).
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #14

Thanks Joey. My Wizard seems to always be on green, no flashing going on. What does that mean?
ehc0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc0720
Thanks Joey. My Wizard seems to always be on green, no flashing going on. What does that mean?
WIZARD FUNCTION (Total Charging Management System)
1 Normal. Converter output = 13.6V until battery @ 13.2V; LED flash once/second
2 Boost. Converter output = 14.4V until battery @ 13.6V; LED on (returns to Normal @ 90% charge in 2 - 3 hours) [this is also known as a fast charge]
3 Storage. Converter output = 13.2V if no battery activity for ~30 hours; LED flash once/5 seconds
4 Desulfation. Converter output = 14.4V for 15 minutes every 21 hours in Storage mode; LED on [this is also know as equalization]
Manual override. Press button on wizard to cycle through modes (may be superceded by automatic function and returns to Normal after 4 hours)

Looking over the above LED status indications, I would have to say your Wizard is in Boost or Desulfation mode. You may need to use the Manual Override button to see it cycle through the other modes. Otherwise you may need to stay a lot longer or wait longer before you change any conditions, like hooking or unhooking from shore power or driving, in order to catch it in Normal or Storage mode.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote