Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Need Input on Compoents for Full Electrical System

Hey folks,
I need some collective input to get my build to the next level. I’m at the point where I’m ready to purchase the main components of my electrical system, including batteries, solar, inverter, solar charger controller, refrigerator, battery separator, DC fuse block and other miscellaneous items. I need some input on a few items so what I’m doing here is putting together a list of the equipment I plan to get and a description of how I intend to use the system. I’m looking for input on the items listed as well components I may need but haven’t listed.

Here is my build page for reference: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f24/gruffalo-the-family-adventure-van-build-thread-14849.html

Here is the system I have in mind, I’m starting to think it’s overkill for my needs but maybe not.

Batteries:
Two Lifeline 31XLT’s. 125Ahr each for a total of 250 Ahrs (~$400 each)

Inverter
Samlex, Pure Sine Wave, 1000 W, Amazaon, $390
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYH6E6S?colid=24WW0X57C8SYX&coliid=IMEAW5RKWO51 H&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

DC Fuse Block
Blue Sea ST Blade fuse block – 12 circuits
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P6FTHC?colid=24WW0X57C8SYX&coliid=I3MUQCNGBOGY KX&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Solar Charge Controller
Morningstart TS-MPPT-45, Amazon, $447
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NMUM2E?colid=24WW0X57C8SYX&coliid=I1JML8ZBRH8B I&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Tristar Digital Meter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MTUPQQ?colid=24WW0X57C8SYX&coliid=I10VY2SK04PU CA&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl

Shorepower hook-up
This is an item I need to research, not sure which brand (Blue Sea?) – Could I go with an inverter/charge controler and simplify this?

Roof Vent Fan
I have a Maxxair Maxxfan 7500K model that I just got.

Refrigerator:
For this I’ve narrowed it down to two options and I’m looking for opinions and input on the two. My build set up has the frig right behind the driver seat like most but my bench seat is installed in front of the permanent platform bed so the “living space” is actually quite small. The ARB top load frig is my first choice based on access and the smaller amp load.
ARB 50qt Frig/Freezer – Top loading, lid rotates on short axis which is needed for my set up, top quality, minimal electrical load, freezer option is a plus, More expensive than the Truck Fridge (~$950)
TruckFridge 49 – Front loading which can work for my set up but has some disadvantages, good quality, less expensive than the ARB. (~$600)

Isloator/Seporator
The van has a factory relay installed with a frame mounted house battery, but I’m assuming this won’t be sufficient for this system.
Blue Sea 7622 Automatic Charge Relay
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UH060LQ?colid=24WW0X57C8SYX&coliid=I2IOTTVINYXX 3J&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Lights
I plan to install exterior LED lamps on both sides and rear of the van. Interior LED lamps will also be installed in various places. The specific brand and type will vary. This is a detail I just haven’t got to yet.

Water Pump
I’m not sure if I’ll add a water tank and pump or not. It would be handy to have a shower nozzle out the back door but not planning a full sink, etc.

Miscellaneous:
I’ll need all the cables and wiring, which I still need to narrow down on size, etc. What about sources to purchase the batter wiring and connectors, any good options you all know here?

Solar:
Two 100W Solarland Panels for a total of 200W. ($245 ea from Wholesale Solar) Anyone deal with these folks before?
Solarland SLP100-12U Silver Poly Solar Panel - Wholesale Solar

What other components may I need? What about battery monitoring.

Electrical Load
Assuming a 250 AH battery bank, that gives me 125 AH (50% of total) to use on a daily basis before a charge from engine, solar or hookup. To me, that’s quite a bit to play with and possibly overkill at this point (based on my expected loading) but I don’t want to limit myself from adding equipment or using more power if it’s needed. On the other hand I don’t want to install more capacity than I need, operate it inefficiently and have more expensive components to maintain and eventually replace.

Expected loads include: DC frig, DC roof vent, DC lights (interior and exterior), AC hot water kettle, various electric gizmos for charging: camera, cell phone, laptop(rare), stereo deck, no microwave or TV.

If you got to the end, thank you....I know it's a long post, probably too long.

Thanks for any and all input,
Justin

Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #2

A very similar setup to mine, with a few differences....
Looks like a sound system. But why such a large inverter if most of your appliances are 12v ?
As for the battery bank, I have two 12v batteries, 155 amp hr for a total of 310. With my current setup I wish I had gone bigger...
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbasso View Post
Looks like a sound system. But why such a large inverter if most of your appliances are 12v ?
As for the battery bank, I have two 12v batteries, 155 amp hr for a total of 310. With my current setup I wish I had gone bigger...
Thanks. As far as the inverter, I suppose I'm just anticipating the need for additional AC appliances. I've got a growing family, I have hopes for longer trips than I'm currently able to afford, etc. So just planning for growth. I'll likely have a smaller inverter for light use for those small loads instead of running the 1000W.

If you don't mind me asking, what loads do you have that is making you desire more than your 310 Ahr setup?

JB
Old 01-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

200 total watt solar
PWM Controller
Blueseas 7622
2x 155 am hr battery bank
Engle MT45
Espar D4
Fantastic fan
Several micro led lights
12v water pump
150 watt inverter for the 26 led tv, laptop, recharging gadgets...
Eccotemp L5 heater- independent.

I've been searching for a gadget that will allow me to monitor all the electronic usage... so my guestimation of my power consumption is based upon a volt gauge and what my solar charge controller displays.
But on the other hand, a larger battery bank will take longer to fill back up... so I'm probably good with my choice of battery bank.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Quote:
200 total watt solar
PWM Controller
Blueseas 7622
2x 155 am hr battery bank
Engle MT45
Espar D4
Fantastic fan
Several micro led lights
12v water pump
150 watt inverter for the 26 led tv, laptop, recharging gadgets...
Eccotemp L5 heater- independent.

I've been searching for a gadget that will allow me to monitor all the electronic usage... so my guestimation of my power consumption is based upon a volt gauge and what my solar charge controller displays.
But on the other hand, a larger battery bank will take longer to fill back up... so I'm probably good with my choice of battery bank.
Ok, so if you add the Espar and water pump to what I'm planning then you are pushing your system near its limits. Good to know.

Your usage seems similar to what I am anticipating, minus the Espar. Would be nice, but my rig is gas so there's that.

Thanks for the input.

JB
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Espar has a gasoline model
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Garage
It is funny, because I thought the opposite on the inverter. Jumping to at least a 1500w, you could add a microwave oven. I find mine pretty handy to heat premade meals. If you have kids it could come in very handy. With that battery bank you can handle it.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #8

I can handle any large inverter due to the dual alternators, ACR 7622 and the batteries, but I'll never nuke my food.

Kids... could be handy though.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX View Post
It is funny, because I thought the opposite on the inverter. Jumping to at least a 1500w, you could add a microwave oven. I find mine pretty handy to heat premade meals. If you have kids it could come in very handy. With that battery bank you can handle it.

TexGX
Yeah, I could see a microwave being handy, warming up food while driving down the road would be really cool for those long haul days. Problem is, I don't have space for a microwave based on my current layout. It's really not that big of a cost to increase to a 1500W inverter but it would add more idle burn rate on powering the thing up.

I'll give it some thought, thanks.

JB
Old 01-20-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

Any thoughts on the MPPT Charge Controller with a separate inverter vs. going with a unit like a Trip Lite Inverter/Charger?

Is there a Tripp Lite unit that will manage charging the batteries from shore power and from the solar panels?

Or is a MPPT charger controller required no matter what?

Thanks,
Justin

Tags
batteries, charger, electrical system, inverter, solar