Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

New generator - seems perfect for SMBs

Has anyone had experience with these generators? Capacity would permit the use of the Danhard without an inverter; size is the same as the Honda, as is noise and running time. also come with a remote start facilitating a more secure installation.

http://www.rvpowersource.com/Magna_Generators_buy.html

Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #2

Re: New generator - seems perfect for SMBs

When it comes to tools (generator is a tool, right) I always try to buy premium pieces. Too many times the discount ones have failed at the most inopportune time.

That said, if you won't use it much, the inexpensive option may work fine for you.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #3

I agree but price is not the issue here, just a bonus. The challenge has been to find a generator that will power the on board a/c that can be reasonably carried in an SMB van. The Honda and larger Yamaha are the only choices but they require an inverter installation or a second generator in parallel to handle the start draw of the a/c. This Magna unit at 2700W would have enough juice to handle it and the unit has all the attractive form factors of the Honda.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #4

Yea but that looks like a China unit and just because it says 2700 does not mean it will do what a Honda will. I had a China inverter and China compressor and they did half of what the spec said it would do. The biggest joke was the air compressor. 5HP to them is about 2HP compaired to a name brand. I had a 1000w inverter to run a 750 watt load and it would not do it. I even did the math and had good Fluke electrical meters to see if it was my mistake. It was the weak inverter. If they have a good retun policy then it may be worth a try but thats a hassle you better expect IMHO.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

I purchased one of these new on eBay. It arrived with a cracked air filter housing due to insufficient clearance inside the case. I received a replacement part which I installed without much difficulty. It ran fine for a few minutes but then the step motor which controls the throttle and therefore the speed of the motor crapped out. I received a replacement part which I have not installed yet because it requires disassembling the case. (This is still easier than trying to box it up and sending it back, one of the hazards of buying online) The choke lever can easily disappear into the case. Filling the oil requires a special dispenser which is supplied but is something else to stow.

Bottom line for me after my experience so far is that it may well do the job once I get it fixed but it is far from the quality of a Honda.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #6

The China syndrome strikes again! What I feared when I asked the question. I think the TrippLite Inverter that SMB uses in their Danhard work around has some of the same performance vs. spec issues. With that said, I ran my Honda and the TrippLite all weekend (8 hours a day) with no issues. I used one of those larger feeder gas tanks that sucks fuel through the filler cap and is designed for the Honda parallel operations. So I did not even need to refill all weekend. Almost up to Class C standards.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

Having owned a Honda 2000 for a few years now, ..... the price is worth it... the quality has been exceptional.

I can appreciate the desire to have a gen that would run the air conditioner without an inverter, but I wonder how many builds have that sort of configuration: 110v Air Conditioner with no battery/inverter component.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Having owned a Honda 2000 for a few years now, ..... the price is worth it... the quality has been exceptional.

I can appreciate the desire to have a gen that would run the air conditioner without an inverter, but I wonder how many builds have that sort of configuration: 110v Air Conditioner with no battery/inverter component.
Actually Greg, your install was one of the first done that way by the TX operation. Prior to that it was not possible because the Star Cool used even more start up power than an inverter could provide. So you had to run 2 Hondas or a 3000W generator. We have yet to see how ell the inverter interface will work as the batteries age. IOW will we have to replace our RV battery(s) earlier because of the impact of the loads that the inverter places when it powers up the a/c start?

We may never really know the answer to this because it takes more research than most of us can manage but I suspect this is the fact based upon my experience of starting large aviation piston engines on battery vs. ground power in high and low ambient temps. Battery life was at least 30% less than we experienced when GPUs were used.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I guess my point was that how often will you have a 110v Air conditioner and thus a 110v electrical system without having an inverter and batteries.

Yes, the switch to Danhard makes the ability to run the AC much more flexible.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #10

I have two Honda 2000s, hooked together they run the air and everything else. They both fit on the back of the bumper. I like having two, cause I can handle them easily.

Jeff