Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

New Honda EU2000i Generator

In case anyone is interested I just got a new Honda EU2000i generator.....

Here is my 1st post listing sources and $$ I found...

Looking to get a Honda EU2000i prior to our Oct/Nov 4 Corners trip.

So far as of 06Oct2009:

Wana Engine Ctr.....Price $899.....Insurance $0.......Shipping $0

Wise Equipment.......Price $890....Insurance $15.....Shipping $0

Mayberrys...............Price $899....Insurance $0......Shipping $0

Anyone got anything cheaper or think that they know of a better (reliable, prompt, etc.) source?? Have seen several posts on "shipping damage" to units.

Have seen them on E-bay for $800 - $900 w $50 - $60 shipping in "new" condition. I prefer though to buy from a 'known' source.

Here is my 2nd post with my results...so far

My Honda EU2000i generator arrived today Thursday the 8th of October at 5pm. I ordered it from Wana Engine Center in Shipshewana, Ind. on Tuesday the 6th at about 3-4pm (UPS truck had all ready been that day). I also ordered a spare spark plug for $3 more (other places in the net listed them for $6). Put OIL and gas in it and have run it under load for 3-4 hours. Also used my Kil-a-watt meter with it to see what was going on. Ran it in ECO mode:

"0" watts load.......126.6 volts.......0 watts output....60.0 Hertz
"100" watt load ....125.6 volts....109 watts output.....60.0 Hertz
"1100" watt load....123.5 volts....910 watts output.....60.0 Hertz
"1600" watt load....122.4 volts...1617 watts output (overload light did NOT come on)...59.9 Hertz

Took 10-15 rope pulls to get it started the first time (assume filling fuel lines).

Voltage seems a tad high but the specifications only state "120v rated voltage" without any tolerance on it.
No shipping damage and it works fine. It is a keeper.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: New Honda EU2000i Generator

Probably can be adjusted, at least my 1000 could be. But 126 isn't bad. Correct voltage is +/-5% of 120 but I would rather have slightly higher voltage under load than lower. 128 might be a different story.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #3

Nice buy LenS

I guessed your were searching after you asked me about my "Jenny"

I would be interested in noise (db) measurements, as they seem amazing on paper...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #4

Yes, we have been thinking about getting one. Seeing yours got me thinking harder.

It is very quite. I wish I had a noise meter to measure it with but from everything I have seen on line their numbers are good. We also have had a Honda EV3000c for a number of years for emergency home power outages. It is quieter then any of our neighbors generators but on a quite day we can still hear it running inside our garage with the door shut. Not loud, but we can hear it ...say 20 yards (I mean meters) away. The Honda EU2000i when it is running inside of the closed garage CANNOT be heard 20 meters (I mean yards) away. They have done an excellent job of noise control with the design.

The Green TARDIS
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM   #5

Not trying to be a smarta$$, but be careful running a generator inside a closed garage (or any closed area). You do know about Carbon Monoxide poisoning, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
Yes, we have been thinking about getting one. Seeing yours got me thinking harder.

It is very quite. I wish I had a noise meter to measure it with but from everything I have seen on line their numbers are good. We also have had a Honda EV3000c for a number of years for emergency home power outages. It is quieter then any of our neighbors generators but on a quite day we can still hear it running inside our garage with the door shut. Not loud, but we can hear it ...say 20 yards (I mean meters) away. The Honda EU2000i when it is running inside of the closed garage CANNOT be heard 20 meters (I mean yards) away. They have done an excellent job of noise control with the design.
David_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #6

Yes, the garage is not attached to the house. It is a separate building. I do not stay in the garage when the generator is running. It is setting about 3 feet inside of the garage door with the exhaust pointing towards the door. When it needs to be serviced I can have the garage door open for several minutes before I need to stand in the door way opening.

Your question is not a bad question though. Every year the papers are full of articles about people who build charcoal fires, run large propane heaters, etc. in closed spaces.

The Green TARDIS
Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #7

I think like most people with B class RV's there is no space on the inside to store a generator and nor is it desirable to store one (gasoline) inside. I don't have one of those rear bumper mounted "black" steel storage boxes. Also I would like to have something that kind of blends in and does not shout out in Honda red "HERE I AM".

So I made a dark green storage box with two end doors one for power and cooling air access and one for exhaust.

the paint job

Unpainted box fitted to rear of van

Generator Box being fitted

Security Cable

Low profile storage
Out of sight out of mind......hopefully

Oh yes, we are packing for southern Utah starting this week end.
Maybe we will come across some of you

The Green TARDIS
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #8

LenS,
Is that Honda air cooled? If so aren't you worried about running it in the box and it getting a tad hot?
Nice box though, how does your exterior wood fend for itself? Paint, rot etc no problems?
ice Generator I must say!
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #9

Yes, the Honda is air cooled. There is a fan of some sorts that sucks air in above the AC plugs and exhausts it out the other end in the exhaust pipe area. The air flows between the red plastic outer case and the engine/inverter assembly. When the generator is running and free standing the outer case stays very cool. I am attempting to assure that my wood case does NOT restrict cooling air. That is a concern. Inside the box at the exhaust end I have 2"x2" foam strips sealing the exhaust opening so that it cannot suck exhaust back in and into the air intake. Jury is still out on the effectiveness of the box for generator running. I have tested it for 5-10 minutes and it performs OK (via the touch the case for heat method). Need to run it for 1-2 hours though to feel comfortable that the box is safe for a running generator.

The boxes are painted with urethane modified oil base paint and hold up well. When not on trips they are stored in the garage so they are not exposed to the elements most of the time. The sides have 2-3 coats of paint and the top horizontal surfaces have 4+ coats of paint (sand between coats). The box design and sealing is such that the inside of the boxes always stays dry.

The Green TARDIS