Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

New Stereo/GPS Install - Reverse and Speed Signal Wires

I am installing a new car stereo with GPS (JVC KW-NT510HDT). There are two wire connections I need to make according to the instructions and I'm not sure where to find them. Obviously it would be ideal if they were in the dash area inside the van.

The first is the reverse gear signal lead to a reverse lamp. The second is the speed signal lead that should be connected to the signal lead from the speedometer. I believe this is also referred to as the VSS wire.

Does anyone know the easiest places to tap into these wires? Or where to find them at all?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

Garage
Re: New Stereo/GPS Install - Reverse and Speed Signal Wires

Don't know where the speed signal is but here is a good deal of information on where the reverse signal wire can be tapped.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...hilit=+Reverse
Old 12-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #3

VSS signal is part of the blunt-cut wire bundle on the driver's side just below the windshield cowling under the hood. It may be labeled VSO or VSOUT. There will not be a VSS signal to tap at the cluster because it receives that info through CAN-bus. Next to the blunt-cut bundle is a 4-pin connector. This is a pass-through harness that ends inside next to the steering column, so you don't have a make a new hole through the firewall.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Thanks Tapatio and Carringb. Looks like the reverse wire isn't going to be a problem. I appreciate the explanation about the VSS signal, unfortunately that went right over my head. I'm not technical at all when it comes to the mechanics of the van (I can change oil, fuel filters and air filters).

I've left the VSS disconnected for now and I'll see if this affects the navigation in any way. I did get the head unit completely installed yesterday (minus those wires) but including the SiriusXM adapter. The toughest part was running the wire for the antenna from the roof back inside the van. The second toughest part was securing and cleaning up all the wiring. Trimming out the opening to fit a double DIN was painless and easy. I was expecting this project to take me the entire weekend, but it ended up being about a 4 hour job. Now I need to drive the van around and actually learn how to use everything.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea

I've left the VSS disconnected for now and I'll see if this affects the navigation in any way.
Can't see why the nav system would need it,GPS calculates speed. Maybe it's used when there is no GPS signal, ie tunnels?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Tapatio, I'm almost positive that is the reason they have that wire. For times when the GPS loses signal.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

could it be that it uses the signal to bump the sound level up the faster you go?

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

Gooseberry, that is possible although not mentioned in the documentation. I found out it also affects the "calibration" of the navigation system, although I have no clue what that actually means. I just did a short drive and all seems to work fine without it connected.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

New Stereo/GPS Install - Reverse and Speed Signal Wires

It's correct that the VSS wire is mainly to continue to provide distance and therefore location if the satellite signal is lost. It's one of the perks of a built-in system over a stand-alone GPS unit, although its benefits aren't really that big of a deal IMO. The calibration aspect is that the GPS can compare the wired speed vs the speed as calculated by the GPS through the satellite and I assume adjust for any discrepancy.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

GPSs do their worst in cities with tall buildings. Ditto narrow canyons or tall trees, but usually in those situations only being accurate within a block isn't a big deal. But low resolution can be frustrating in the city. SmartPhones use the accelerometer to compensate for erratic signals (and even cell signal triangulation). But even then, Google Maps tried to tell me to do a U-turn on I-5 in downtown Portland yesterday

All of the OEM head units use the speed signal for volume compensation as well, but anything newer ('03+ in the vans) will have the speed signal buried in the CAN-BUS at the radio, and anything older did not get speed compensation.