Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 01:24 PM   #1

Noob question about StarCool

Can the Automotive AC be bad and the StarCool still work? It seems that my Van AC is bad (won't cool) however it seems the Rear air is blowing cool. Hard to tell for certain as the current outside temp is close to the air temp.

1995 Dodge SMB PopTop

redcrownline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #2

As far as i know, the systems are independent. My starcool doesnt cool but my front AC works.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #3

Your year (1995) Starcool should be totally integrated with the van’s stock AC (at least they are in Fords: I assume Dodge is the same). When running the cab (stock) AC you should always also have the Starcool on, as the coolant flows through both systems. If your Starcool is off, often the cab AC will not be as cool as it should be.

I can’t imagine why your rear Starcool would be cooler than the cab AC, though, when both are on. Have you checked air from front and rear vents with an actual thermometer?

I think some of the newer Danhard (aka Starcool) systems may be standalone, but the older units are all integrated to my knowledge.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

My system is also integrated. I do recall some posts back in the day with folks having issues with a vent door sticking in the cab. It was something I looked into on my rig when having an imbalance but turned out it was simply the compressor going out with debris in the orifice tube.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #5
Site Team

Garage
They did make a few different models. I agree with others here thinking you have a combined system. The real way to tell if the rear only is working is to use a thermostat stuck into the vent. Make sure the refrigerant level is correct to the system. If the vehicle AC has been worked on, it's typical that the tech used what the car manufacture suggests and the Starcool won't work correctly. Not sure about yours but my Starcool/Ford system holds 72 oz (or 4.5 lbs). The Starcool III system I have also has a separate compressor that works independent from the vehicle system but requires shorepower to operate yet if the vehicle Starcool is low it will suffer as well.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

I have the owners manual for the Starcool III (printed 9/96). I would be happy to scan and forward it to anyone who would like a copy, just PM me.

That said, it does say it shares the freon system with the dash system, but I don't see anywhere in the manual that requires you to have the Starcool on when the dash system is on. That would be a pain for me because the switch is next to the pantry. The manual states that in 2000 SMB put a Starcool switch above and behind the driver seat for ease of access.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wltrmtty View Post
I have the owners manual for the Starcool III (printed 9/96). I would be happy to scan and forward it to anyone who would like a copy, just PM me.

That said, it does say it shares the freon system with the dash system, but I don't see anywhere in the manual that requires you to have the Starcool on when the dash system is on. That would be a pain for me because the switch is next to the pantry. The manual states that in 2000 SMB put a Starcool switch above and behind the driver seat for ease of access.

Yes. that's right and it wouldn't be hard to wire in a similar switch.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #8

The following schematic shows the changes needed to add the enable/disable switch for the Starcool System.

And nice write up on another members modification
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...dash-8284.html
-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #9

As a new, first time owner of a Starcool, I have zero experience with them, but I've heard plenty of stories. Some say that they are so complicated and unreliable that SMB or other A/C shops will no longer work on them. I've also heard about plenty of folks who have non operable units, which includes mine. That makes me wonder what percentage of folks have working units? Having looked at the wiring and refrigerant diagrams, it seems like a relatively simple system, that shouldn't be too difficult to trouble shoot and maintain. So, do you have one, and does it work? Did it require extensive work to repair?................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #10

I have one and the fan runs, but I won't know of it puts out cold air until this summer, which in Wisconsin is August 15th. I'll let you know.
wltrmtty is offline   Reply With Quote