Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
Norcold fridge just stops

i had sportsmobile install solar panels and my van came back with the ground wire removed from the isolator. this was causing problems with the battery isolation (as one might imagine) so i replaced the wire. i then had one episode (i have yet to repeat because the panels keep everything charged up) where i left the van radio switch set to the wrong setting which drained the van starter battery to a point where it couldnt start the van. i thought this was not possible with a properly working isolator as i think it's suppose to cut off the van battery at 12.4 or something like that. now something is switching off my fridge prematurely. i think the fridge is working as i get a little sound and a millisecond of a green light when i switch it on.

the manufacturer of the isolator says it's extremely rare for an isolator to malfunction.

has anyone had this problem? and is it time to take it into a place for a qualified person to look at it?

thx

lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Norcold fridge just stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_q3a

the manufacturer of the isolator says it's extremely rare for an isolator to malfunction.
Yea I had that problem but it was a battery separator similar to this link.

http://www.shoprvparts.com/product.do?no=13503F

What year is your van and which do you have?
Basically I had one of my starting batteries (diesel) go bad and it was burning up the separator. It was difficult to find mainly due to the fact that Ford told me 3 times both batteries were good when only 1 was. The van was starting off the house battery. If I had let it drop much (the house battery) the engine wouldn't have started . SMB changed out a few separator's before I found the problem. BTW taking off the ground wire is one way SMB tests the starting battery system. With the ground off will your van start?

From what I remember if you leave the radio switch on it will drain the starting battery I THINK.

Somebody else had a wire hitting the frame and the insulation rubbed through.

As far as the refrigerator (and the entire post) this would be a good question for John K.
DaveB

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #3

Norcold Fridge Stops Running

I'm assuming your SMB is new enough (mid-year '04 and up) to have the Battery Separator Dave mentioned, since the older style Battery Isolator didn't have a ground wire. The Separator has three spades on which two wires typically install, the ground and the "start" signal. Are you sure the wire was re-installed on the correct spade? There is a diagram on the side of the Separator to indicate where each wire should connect.

Leaving the radio switch "on" will drain the starting battery(s), but a properly working Battery Separator and charged house battery will typically provide the power necessary to start the engine. Do you know if your house battery is fully charged? Solar panels are not just charging the starting battery(s), correct?

On the refrigerator, a discharged house battery will also effect the refrigerator operation. Make sure the refrigerator fuse is pushed all the way "in" at the fuse block under the seat. What you've described sounds more like a loose connection at the refrigerator wiring. Did SMB remove the refrigerator for any reason? It is pretty easy to remove the refrigerator to check the two wires, one(usually red) is 12volt (+), and the other(usually white) is (-). Check the (-) wire at the point it secures to the van body too. After making sure connections are tight, test operation before re-installing the refrigerator. FYI, there are two screws that mount through the sides of the refrigerator cabinet that must be removed in order to get the refrigerator out of the cabinet.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll gladly help.

John K.
John Kalmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to lobo_q3a
Re: Norcold Fridge Stops Running

hi John

its an 06 van with a Sure Power Separator (model 1315-200)

recent SMB Fresno work included solara panels, addition of a second house battery (2 total), something to quiet the fridge, and a failed attempt at straightening my bent penthouse bars (don't ask).

*****Do you know if your house battery is fully charged? Solar panels are not just charging the starting battery(s), correct?

funny u should ask. the van has been sitting in direct sunlight for days and the house batteries are at 13.1 but the starting batteries are at 12.8. seems like they should be evenly charged right. i seem to remember a time recently when both sets were at 13.1.

*****On the refrigerator, a discharged house battery will also effect the refrigerator operation. Make sure the refrigerator fuse is pushed all the way "in" at the fuse block under the seat.

i double checked the fuse. it's all the way in. the fridge makes a little chirp when i turn it on then it dies and the green light goes out. this leads me to believe it is being disabled by something.

*****What you've described sounds more like a loose connection at the refrigerator wiring. Did SMB remove the refrigerator for any reason?

they did indeed remove the fridge to make it quieter.

*****It is pretty easy to remove the refrigerator to check the two wires, one(usually red) is 12volt (+), and the other(usually white) is (-). Check the (-) wire at the point it secures to the van body too. After making sure connections are tight, test operation before re-installing the refrigerator. FYI, there are two screws that mount through the sides of the refrigerator cabinet that must be removed in order to get the refrigerator out of the cabinet.

i will try this this weekend! thanks so much to both of you. i will let you know.
lobo_q3a is offline   Reply With Quote