Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 03:34 PM   #1

now the question- will the honda 2000i run the starcool?

SMB says shouldn't be a problem, what's the real life verdict before I try this again? thanks folks!

tampaliquors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #2

Re: now the question- will the honda 2000i run the starcool?

this is from the SMB website- it's why i went and looked at the honda in the first place

Manufacturers of Portable 2000W Generators
include Yamaha, Onan and Honda. The Honda EU2000iA model is the only one that has been tested by Sportsmobile for compatibility with Sportsmobile air conditioners. Many Sportsmobile owners have used them successfully for years.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Wow, I would double check that. It's the Danhard (the new version) that SMB claimed could be ran off a 2K gen. I'm not too sure about that either. It might take some special rigging to handle the A/C's startup.

The Starcool III (also made by Danhard) requires 3000 watt generator from what I was told by SMB-W.

(I have not tried to run my Starcool III off any gererator to date)

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

thanks dave, good to get some input.....these things confuse me. still trying to figure out what i did to my system, blew the battery fuse for sure, replaced it but the inverter will now only stay on for like 5 seconds..weird.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #5

I have a 2.8KV Onan with the old Starcool III. The Onan will run the ac but not one watt more. I have to ease it in, turning on the blower first then the condenser. If I turn them both on at once the gen shuts down.
Langton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaliquors
SMB says shouldn't be a problem, what's the real life verdict before I try this again? thanks folks!
One Honda 2000i will NOT run a Starcool or a Danhard on its own. The Danhard can be run with one if you install an inverter to absorb the compressor start surge. There will be enough reserve power with this set up for maybe a small fan, light or a computer/phone on charge ie: 100 watts or so.

If the load is too high the Honda goes off line, the battery gets depleted by the inverter and the a/c fan running it down further. In hot weather, its very hard to come back from this depletion until you switch off the a/c and allow the battery to charge from mains or van sources for several hours. If you do not do this the battery will be permanently damaged and will not accept a full charge. This means an early replacement. If you are close to the van when the Honda goes off line or shuts down and you rescue the system you can avoid the ensuing damage. But 20 minutes or more just 2 or 3 times will substantially impact the battery.

The Honda will cut out if it runs out of fuel but it will also go off line if the load exceeds 13 amps. In hot weather this can happen especially if the battery has been depleted over night running the fridge, lights etc. Next morning, if you do not start the recharge early enough, the first time the compressor is called for, the combination of recharge demand and compressor load will cause the Honda to pop its overload breaker and go off line. My inverter is set to unload charge power as fast and as much as other sources may demand the power. For some reason, from time-to-time it cannot do that fast enough and the breaker pops. After an hour of sweltering while the battery recharges, I can get the Honda to remain on line after start up.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #7

I am putting a Polar Cub / Coleman low profile roof air on my rig
9000 btu

just recived my Yamaha 2400
BIG, but it will run the ac

The yamaha will live in a custom Aluminess box on the rear bump

just my solution, hated having to get a generator but wanted AC

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #8

Yamaha is a nice unit but weighs another 25 lbs, is 5" wider and an inch taller making for quite a large box hanging over the rear bumper. I would have gone that way but for a regular need to tow a trailer where the box would be very restrictive to the hitching process. I am able to store my Honda in an externally accessed compartment just ahead of the right rear wheel.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamgat
Yamaha is a nice unit but weighs another 25 lbs, is 5" wider and an inch taller making for quite a large box hanging over the rear bumper. I would have gone that way but for a regular need to tow a trailer where the box would be very restrictive to the hitching process. I am able to store my Honda in an externally accessed compartment just ahead of the right rear wheel.

agree with the size and weight, but i dont tow and want to be able to run the generator
for the AC in the boonies
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #10

No you need at least 3000 watts. I have two HONDA 2000S hooked together. It works great...

Jeff